Willesden Manor House

Large house in/near Kilburn, existed between 1500 and 1856

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53612 -0.19163, 51.536 -0.191) 

Willesden Manor House

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Large house · Kilburn · NW6 ·
October
13
2020

Willesden Manor House lay next to Kilburn Park Farm.

This included an estate of 160 acres along with its farmhouse. In 1649 Willesden Manor House was recorded as a house of six rooms.

In 1788, it was owned by Lady Sarah Salusbury, the widow of Sir Thomas Salusbury, a judge of the High Court of Admiralty.

Passing through inheritances, in 1837 it passed to Lady Elizabeth May Salusbury. Lady Salusbury sold her properties to the Church Commissioners in 1856.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge Farm Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent.
Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6.
Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
St Augustine’s Church of England High School St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England.
The Old Bell The (Old) Bell is a very old Kilburn Pub.

NEARBY STREETS
32 Kilburn High Road, NW6 32 Kilburn High Road is a location in London.
Abbey Road Housing Co-operative, NW8 The Abbey Road Housing Co-op development was built for Hampstead Borough Council in 1965.
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead.
Addison Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ainsworth Way, NW8 Ainsworth Way lies at the heart of the Alexandra Road estate.
Alexandra Mews, NW8 Alexandra Mews existed between the 1850s and the 1960s.
Algernon Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Alpha Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Andover Place, NW6 Andover Place runs between Kilburn Park Road and Carlton Vale.
Belgrave Gardens, NW8 Belgrave Gardens was originally the east side of Bolton Road.
Belgravenue Gardens, NW8 Belgravenue Gardens is a location in London.
Belsise Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history.
Birchington Road, NW6 Birchington Road runs from the Edgware Road to West End Lane.
Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858.
Bransdale Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Bristol Walk, NW6 Bristol Walk is a location in London.
Brondesbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Villas, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondsbury Villas, NW6 Brondsbury Villas is a location in London.
Cambridge Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Works, NW6 Canterbury Works is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Carlton Vale, W9 Carlton Vale is a street in Maida Vale.
Cathedral Walk, NW6 Cathedral Walk is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Charteris Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Chichester Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East.
Colas Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Coventry Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dibdin House, NW6 Residential block
Glengall Road, NW6 Glengall Road was laid out after Kilburn House was demolished.
Goldsmith Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gorefield Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Granville Road, NW6 Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road.
Greville Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, W9 Greville Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Havenpool, NW8 Havenpool is a location in London.
Hazelmere Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Helmsdale House, NW6 Residential block
Hermit Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hillside Close, NW8 Hillside Close is a cul-de-sac off of Carlton Hill.
Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development.
Kilburn High Road Railway Station, NW6 Kilburn High Road Railway Station is a location in London.
Kilburn High Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Kilburn Place, NW6 Kilburn Place was originally Providence Place.
Kilburn Priory, NW6 Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory
Kilburn Priory, NW8 Kilburn Priory is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Kilburn Square, NW6 Kilburn Square was built around St Paul’s Chapel, which dates from 1825.
Kilburn Vale, NW6 Kilburn Vale leads to the Kilburn Vale estate.
Langtry Road, NW8 Langtry Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Langtry Walk, NW8 Langtry Walk was named for Lily Langtry.
Mallard Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maple Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Mortimer Crescent is a notable street in Kilburn, full of literary connections.
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Place, NW6 Mortimer Place can be found in Kilburn, NW6.
Mutrix Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Neville Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Neville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Oxford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Peel Precinct, NW6 Peel Precinct is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Plaza Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Princess Road, NW6 Princess Road was once known as Alexandra Road.
Priory Park Road, NW6 Priory Park Road dates from 1882.
Priory Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane.
Quex Mews, NW6 Quex Mews is named after an estate in Kent.
Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane.
Randolph Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Regents Plaza, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Sandbourne, NW8 Sandbourne is a location in London.
Springfield Lane, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Springfield Walk, NW6 Springfield Walk has a set of very old steps that give access to Kilburn Priory.
The Lane, NW8 The Lane is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Thurso House, NW6 Thurso House is a location in London.
Tollgate Gardens, NW6 Tollgate Gardens is a location in London.
Torridon House, NW6 Residential block
Valeside House, NW6 Valeside House is on Kilburn Park Road.
Victoria Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Wells Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Extract from the London Gazette
TUM image id: 1556827514
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Meadowland with buttercups and daisies
TUM image id: 1483540144
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Grange Park
TUM image id: 1453363351
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Grangeway, NW6
TUM image id: 1453361516
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Mortimer Place, NW6
TUM image id: 1492961898
Licence: CC BY 2.0
91 Fernhead Road, W9
TUM image id: 1478550881
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Bell, Kilburn Wells (around 1800)
TUM image id: 1602693126
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Grangeway, NW6
TUM image id: 1453361516
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Mortimer Place, NW6
TUM image id: 1492961898
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Grange, from "The Graphic magazine", 1901
Credit: Marianne Colloms
TUM image id: 1453363936
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Bell, Kilburn Wells (around 1800)
TUM image id: 1602693126
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Picture of Abbey Road in London. Abbey Road Studios can be seen in the background. Picture taken in summer of 2004. It is common for tourists to cross the road barefoot.
Credit: WillMcC
TUM image id: 1525264430
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Emminster (corner of Abbey Road and Belsize Road) prior to demolition
Credit: https://manchesterhistory.net/
TUM image id: 1601635906
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Clarence Place, Kilburn High Road, at the junction with Eresby Road. Thought to be taken in the 1880s.
Credit: Alexander W. Dron
TUM image id: 1599855094
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Kilburn tollgate in 1860
Credit: Brent Archives
TUM image id: 1602600864
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page