Print-friendly version of this page
The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road
and Willesden Lane
From around the 1750, The Elms was under the ownership of a number of people. Mr and Mrs Pickersgill were in occupation between 1829 and 1832. The husband, Henry William Pickersgill, was an eminent portrait painter. Mrs Pickersgill ran a school for ‘female education’.
From 1832 John Ebers, a widowed theatre manager with two daughters moved into The Elms. He moved into the world of publishing.
Next, the writer William Harrison Ainsworth lived in the house (his wife was Fanny Ebers, daughter of John). Here he began writing his novel ’Rookwood’, about the notorious highwayman Dick Turpin. John Ebers published the book. Although the inn where Dick Turpin met his accomplices is based on The Cock in Kilburn, the story is fictitious and there’s no historical evidence to link Turpin to Kilburn.
The Elms stood on the site of the later Gaumont State
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Cannon Stream The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River. Kilburn Grange Park Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road. Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road. Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent. Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s. Oaklands Hall On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa. The Elms The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane. The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century. Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road. Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6. Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down. Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6. Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Brondesbury Park is an affluent suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent.
Brondesbury Park the suburb is centred on the railway station of the same name. It has a number of open spaces, such as Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.
The area was rural until the coming of the railway. The Hampstead Junction Railway route between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road (via Gospel Oak) opened in 1860, but at first there were no stations west of Brondesbury. The line was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1867, but it was not until 1 June 1908 that a station at Brondesbury Park was opened.
But already by 1887, Salusbury Road, running parallel to the Edgware Road, joined Kilburn to Brondesbury and Willesden Green. The whole of the Church Commissioners' estate east of Salusbury Road and south of the L. & N.W.R. was built on and there were patches of building and a complete street layout on the Kilburn Park estate to the south. North of the L. & N.W.R. line the street plan was laid out as far as Victoria Road
and building was complete on the former Tanners Mead (north of Kilburn Lane and west of Edgware Road) and Elm Lodge estate. There was some building on both sides of the Hampstead Junction line. The rest of the area between the Hampstead Junction line and Willesden Lane was built up during the late 1880s. South of Willesden Lane building stretched westward to Paddington cemetery and along Brondesbury Road as far as Salusbury Road by 1896. Most of the Kilburn Park estate was built up, and south of the L. & N.W.R. building stretched westward to merge with Kensal Green.
Brondesbury along with Brondesbury Park attracted a lot of Irish immigrants and then, after the 1930s, many German Jewish people. Willesden as a whole had 3.5 per cent of the population born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria in 1951, a lot of these in Brondesbury Park.