Print-friendly version of this page
Street/road in London NW6
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road. Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent. Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6. Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington. Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road. Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s. Queen’s Park Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria. Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road. St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England. Albert Road, NW6 Albert Road in NW6 escaped the mass renaming of Albert Roads in London. Kilburn Lane, NW6 Kilburn Lane is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Brondesbury Park is an affluent suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent.
Brondesbury Park the suburb is centred on the railway station of the same name. It has a number of open spaces, such as Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.
The area was rural until the coming of the railway. The Hampstead Junction Railway route between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road (via Gospel Oak) opened in 1860, but at first there were no stations west of Brondesbury. The line was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1867, but it was not until 1 June 1908 that a station at Brondesbury Park was opened.
But already by 1887, Salusbury Road
, running parallel to the Edgware Road, joined Kilburn to Brondesbury and Willesden Green. The whole of the Church Commissioners' estate east of Salusbury Road
and south of the L. & N.W.R. was built on and there were patches of building and a complete street layout on the Kilburn Park estate to the south. North of the L. & N.W.R. line the street plan was laid out as far as Victoria Road
and building was complete on the former Tanners Mead (north of Kilburn Lane
and west of Edgware Road) and Elm Lodge estate. There was some building on both sides of the Hampstead Junction line. The rest of the area between the Hampstead Junction line and Willesden Lane was built up during the late 1880s. South of Willesden Lane building stretched westward to Paddington cemetery and along Brondesbury Road as far as Salusbury Road
by 1896. Most of the Kilburn Park estate was built up, and south of the L. & N.W.R. building stretched westward to merge with Kensal Green.
Brondesbury along with Brondesbury Park attracted a lot of Irish immigrants and then, after the 1930s, many German Jewish people. Willesden as a whole had 3.5 per cent of the population born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria in 1951, a lot of these in Brondesbury Park.