Carlton Vale, NW6
Road in/near Maida Vale, existing between 1861 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Carlton Vale
runs from the Edgware Road to Kilburn Lane
In 1850 the Reverend Edward Stuart sold 47 acres to a consortium of five developers, of whom the largest was James Bailey. They laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.
was originally called Carlton Road and was laid out over the former fields of Kilburn Bridge
Several of the contractors aimed high with their early efforts but the isolated, muddy location - the vale was the flood plain of the River Westbourne - failed to attract buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades.
A new type of building, in red or multi-coloured brick, was used from the 1860s. It was soon to spread over the remaining unbuilt-upon land.
was extensively rebuilt after World War Two bombing.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne. Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington. St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England. Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
The area was developed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the early 19th century as middle class housing. The main building started in the mid 19th century and from the 1860s red brick was used. The first mansion blocks were completed in 1897.
Maida Vale nowadays makes up most of the W9 postal district - the southern part of Maida Vale at the junction of Paddington Basin with Regent's Canal, with many houseboats, is known as Little Venice. The area to the south-west of Maida Vale, at the western end of Elgin Avenue, was historically known as Maida Hill
Maida Vale tube station was opened on 6 June 1915, on the Bakerloo Line.