Colas Mews, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53907 -0.19379) 

Colas Mews, NW6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Kilburn · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent.
Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6.
Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
The Elms The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane.
The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
The Old Bell The (Old) Bell is a very old Kilburn Pub.
Victoria Tavern The Victoria Tavern was built on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane in the middle of the nineteenth century.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Road, NW6 A small section of the north of Abbey Road lies in NW6.
Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road.
Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6.
Addison Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Aldershot Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Algernon Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Alpha Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Belsise Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Birchington Road, NW6 Birchington Road runs from the Edgware Road to West End Lane.
Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858.
Bransdale Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Villas, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Buckley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Burton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cathedral Walk, NW6 Cathedral Walk is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Charteris Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Coventry Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Daynor House, NW6 Residential block
Donaldson Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Douglas Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dunster Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Emminster, NW8 The Abbey Road Housing Co-op development was built for Hampstead Borough Council in 1965.
Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down.
Esmond Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6.
Glengall Road, NW6 Glengall Road was laid out after Kilburn House was demolished.
Goldsmith Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grange Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grangeway, NW6 Grangeway, NW6 lies off of Messina Avenue.
Greville Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hazelmere Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hermit Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development.
Kenilworth Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn High Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Place, NW6 Kilburn Place was originally Providence Place.
Kilburn Priory, NW6 Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory
Kilburn Priory, NW8 Kilburn Priory is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Kilburn Square, NW6 Kilburn Square was built around St Paul’s Chapel, which dates from 1825.
Kilburn Vale, NW6 Kilburn Vale leads to the Kilburn Vale estate.
Kings Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Road, NW6 Kingsgate Road runs between Quex Road and Hemstal Road.
Kingsley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Langtry Road, NW8 Langtry Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Langtry Walk, NW8 Langtry Walk was named for Lily Langtry.
Lynton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mallard Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Mazenod Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Mortimer Crescent is a notable street in Kilburn, full of literary connections.
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Place, NW6 Mortimer Place can be found in Kilburn, NW6.
Mutrix Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plaza Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Priory Park Road, NW6 Priory Park Road dates from 1882.
Priory Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Priory Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane.
Quex Mews, NW6 Quex Mews is named after an estate in Kent.
Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane.
Regents Plaza, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Smyrna Road, NW6 Smyrna Road is a small road to the west of West End Lane.
Springfield Lane, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Springfield Walk, NW6 Springfield Walk has a set of very old steps that give access to Kilburn Priory.
St Julians Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
St Marys Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Streatley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Victoria Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Victoria Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Waterloo Passage, NW6 Waterloo Passage is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Wavel Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Wells Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Willesden Court, S43 This is a street in the S43 postcode area
Woodville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Grangeway, NW6
TUM image id: 1453361516
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Mortimer Place, NW6
TUM image id: 1492961898
Kilburn House
Credit: Brent Archives
TUM image id: 1602685827
Print-friendly version of this page