Dunmore Road, NW6

Road in/near Queen’s Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53873 -0.21033) 

Dunmore Road, NW6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · * · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
1879 Royal Agricultural Society Show Washout summers are not only a modern phenomenon

NEARBY STREETS
Athelstan Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Aylestone Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Park, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brooksville Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Callcott Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Carlisle Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Chevening Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Clarence Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
College Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
College Yard, NW6 College Yard is a small alleyway off of Winchester Avenue, NW6.
Creighton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Douglas Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dudley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hartland Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Honiton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hopefield Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kimberley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lincoln Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lonsdale Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Millman Road, E16 A street within the NW6 postcode
Milman Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Montrose Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plympton Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Radnor Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Salusbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
St Hildas Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
St Laurence Close, NW6 St Laurence Close is a road in the NW6 postcode area
St Laurences Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Summerfield Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Tennyson Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Quadrant, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Tiverton Road, NW10 Tiverton Road is a street in Willesden.
Torbay Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Winchester Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Windermere Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Wrentham Avenue, NW10 Wrentham Avenue runs between Chamberlayne Road and Tiverton Road.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
St Charles Hospital
TUM image id: 1079
Jack of Newbury
TUM image id: 1080
Print-friendly version of this page