Lyncroft Gardens, NW6
Road in/near Hampstead, existing between 1878 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Lyncroft Gardens is a street in Fortune Green
Most of the land north of West End Green
and around Fortune Green
belonged to the Flitcroft
estate. Apart from the Hillfield
Road estate, the only building was on a small estate west of Finchley Road
, owned in 1841 by Francis Lovel, where between 1870 and 1878 Charles Cannon, a dye merchant who lived at Kidderpore Hall, converted an old footpath into Cannon Hill
, and West House and Wellesley House were built west of the junction of Finchley Road
and West End Lane
which flowed down this hill, was also named after Charles Cannon and this stream flows under the line of Lyncroft Gardens.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Beckford’s Estate Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane. Cedars A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878. Cholmley Lodge Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813. Cock and Hoop The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723. Flitcroft Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century. Fortune Green Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s. Fortune Green Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End. Hackney College The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary. Hillfield By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records. New West End New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road. Poplar House Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter. Potter’s Iron Foundry In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry. Ripley House Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge. The Black Lion The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house. Thorplands Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane. West End Hall West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead). Woodbine Cottage Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate. Ardwick Road, NW2 Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road. Heath Drive, NW3 Heath Drive, one of the roads connecting Hampstead with the Finchley Road was originally West Hampstead Avenue. Holmdale Road, NW6 Holmdale Road runs from Mill Lane to Dennington Park Road in West Hampstead. Inglewood Road, NW6 Inglewood Road, NW6 was one of the last roads to be built in West End, West Hampstead. Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead. Ulysses Road, NW6 Ulysses Road is one of a series of streets named after the Trojan War. Welbeck Mansions, NW6 Welbeck Mansions, flats notable for their ironwork balconies, were built north of Inglewood Road in 1897.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.