Randolph Gardens, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53331 -0.19009) 

Randolph Gardens, NW6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Kilburn Park · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge Farm Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6.
Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Maida Vale Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
St Augustine’s Church of England High School St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England.
The Old Bell The (Old) Bell is a very old Kilburn Pub.

NEARBY STREETS
Abercorn Walk, NW8 Abercorn Walk is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Alpha Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Andover Place, NW6 Andover Place runs between Kilburn Park Road and Carlton Vale.
Andover Place, W9 Andover Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Aubrey Place, NW8 Aubrey Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Belgrave Gardens, NW8 Belgrave Gardens was originally the east side of Bolton Road.
Blenheim Terrace, NW8 Blenheim Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858.
Cambridge Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Works, NW6 Canterbury Works is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Carlton Hill, NW8 Carlton Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Carlton Vale, NW6 Carlton Vale runs from the Edgware Road to Kilburn Lane.
Carlton Vale, W9 Carlton Vale is a street in Maida Vale.
Cathedral Walk, NW6 Cathedral Walk is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Chichester Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East.
Coventry Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dibdin House, W9 Residential block
Elgin Mews South, W9 Elgin Mews South is a street in Maida Vale.
Goldsmith Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gorefield Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Granville Road, NW6 Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road.
Greville Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, W9 Greville Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Helmsdale House, NW6 Residential block
Hillside Close, NW8 Hillside Close is a cul-de-sac off of Carlton Hill.
Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855
Kilburn Park Road, W9 Kilburn Park Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Kilburn Priory, NW6 Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory
Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London and ultimately takes its name from a pub.
Mallard Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Malvern Mews, W9 Malvern Mews is a road in the W9 postcode area
Malvern Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maple Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Masefield House, NW6 Residential block
Nelson Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Oxford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Pentland Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plaza Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Princess Road, NW6 Princess Road was once known as Alexandra Road.
Regents Plaza, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Ryder’s Terrace, NW8 Ryder’s Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Springfield Lane, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Stafford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Lane, NW8 The Lane is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Torridon House, NW6 Residential block
Wellesley Court, W9 Wellesley Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Wells Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Kilburn Park

Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.

The area of Kilburn Park was developed in the 1850s somewhat south of the area then known as Kilburn in the fields west of the Edgware Road. The "Park" in the name was simply an invention by the developer, James Bailey.

Bailey had teamed up in a consortium of five developers who in 1850 bought 47 acres from owner the Reverend Edward Stuart. The consortium laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.

The isolated, muddy location failed to attract many buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. Properties were soon subdivided, some containing as many as six households in the 1870s.

The suburb of Kilburn Park was finally complete in the late 1880s.

Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington  towards Queen’s Park.

The original plan had the London North West Railway (LNWR) creating a new line from Queen’s Park to Euston - but these underground ideas changed and a new "proper" line was built instead. But extending south from Queen’s Park gained momentum and, in 1911, it was mooted to extend the London Electric Railway (LER) company’s Bakerloo Line in that direction.

The Bakerloo Line offered a direct West End route without the need for changing trains though the Bakerloo was not the first option for bringing trains into the West End from the direction of Watford. A connection with the Hampstead Tube at Chalk Farm was looked at but not found to be feasible so the more expensive Bakerloo scheme then became the preferred route.

<img class="wp-image-85 size-medium" src="http://theundergroundmap.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/kilburnpark-209x300.jpg" alt="kilburnpark" width="209" height="300" /></a>

This arrangement suited the LER very well. It would capture a valuable new traffic and help fill the spare capacity along the existing line, and all at modest cost. It would also resolve once and for all how the Bakerloo should approach Paddington where the surface station layout was complicated. Vacillation about what to do after reaching Paddington had prevented the Bakerloo getting beyond Edgware Road as it was impossible to agree a route to Paddington without knowledge of where a future extension might go. Paddington was reached in 1913, with the GWR paying £18,000 towards the scheme.

Unfortunately, by the time work on the extension was well in hand, the Great War had broken out and this and other delays (including some very bad weather) somewhat disrupted plans. The Bakerloo service began on 31 January 1915, trains calling only at Warwick Avenue and Kilburn Park. Queens Park (though still incomplete) was sufficiently advanced to open on 11 February 1915, and Maida Vale was finally ready on 6 June 1915.

The Kilburn Park station building was designed by Stanley Heaps in a modified version of the earlier Leslie Green designed Bakerloo line stations with glazed terra cotta façades but without the large semi-circular windows at first floor level. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. Because of the lack of lifts, there was no longer any need for an engine room, and the new station building was built as a single story building.

Maida Vale station, down the line was the first London station to have all-female staff. When it opened in 1915 during the First World War, there were two ticket collectors, two porters, two booking clerks, and relief ticket collector-booking clerks. Kilburn Park station was also staffed by women, though not exclusively so.

Because of the shortage of male workers, women’s role expanded  on the Bakerloo Line - first of all in stations like Maida Vale and Kilburn Park, but eventually on trains too. In August 1918 an unofficial strike, mainly affecting this line, played a part in moving towards equal pay for women.

<a href="http://theundergroundmap.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/178.png"><img class="alignleft size-full wp-image-86" src="http://theundergroundmap.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/178.png" alt="178" width="583" height="383" /></a>


LOCAL PHOTOS
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Print-friendly version of this page