Springfield Lane, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53684 -0.19066) 

Springfield Lane, NW6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Kilburn · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Alexandra Road Estate The Alexandra Road estate, often referred to as Rowley Way, is a housing estate in the London Borough of Camden.
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge Farm Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn House Kilburn House and its grounds faced Edgware Road, a short distance north of today’s Victoria Road.
Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6.
Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
St Augustine’s Church of England High School St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England.
The Old Bell The (Old) Bell is a very old Kilburn Pub.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Road, NW6 A small section of the north of Abbey Road lies in NW6.
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead.
Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road.
Addison Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ainsworth Way, NW8 Ainsworth Way lies at the heart of the Alexandra Road estate.
Alexandra Mews, NW8 Alexandra Mews existed between the 1850s and the 1960s.
Algernon Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Alpha Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Andover Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Andover Place, W9 Andover Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Belgrave Gardens, NW8 Belgrave Gardens was originally the east side of Bolton Road.
Belsise Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history.
Birchington Road, NW6 Birchington Road runs from the Edgware Road to West End Lane.
Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858.
Bransdale Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Villas, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Works, NW6 Canterbury Works is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Carlton Hill, NW8 Carlton Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Carlton Vale, W9 Carlton Vale is a street in Maida Vale.
Cathedral Walk, NW6 Cathedral Walk is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Chichester Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East.
Colas Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Coventry Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Daynor House, NW6 Residential block
Dibdin House, W9 Residential block
Emminster, NW8 The Abbey Road Housing Co-op development was built for Hampstead Borough Council in 1965.
Goldsmith Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gorefield Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Granville Road, NW6 Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road.
Greville Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, W9 Greville Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hermit Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hillside Close, NW8 Hillside Close is a cul-de-sac off of Carlton Hill.
Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development.
Kilburn High Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Park Road, W9 Kilburn Park Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Kilburn Place, NW6 Kilburn Place was originally Providence Place.
Kilburn Priory, NW6 Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory
Kilburn Priory, NW8 Kilburn Priory is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Kilburn Square, NW6 Kilburn Square was built around St Paul’s Chapel, which dates from 1825.
Kilburn Vale, NW6 Kilburn Vale leads to the Kilburn Vale estate.
Langtry Road, NW8 Langtry Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Langtry Walk, NW8 Langtry Walk was named for Lily Langtry.
Mallard Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maple Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Mortimer Crescent is a notable street in Kilburn, full of literary connections.
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mortimer Place, NW6 Mortimer Place can be found in Kilburn, NW6.
Mutrix Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Oxford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plaza Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Princess Road, NW6 Princess Road was once known as Alexandra Road.
Priory Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane.
Quex Mews, NW6 Quex Mews is named after an estate in Kent.
Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane.
Randolph Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Regents Plaza, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Springfield Walk, NW6 Springfield Walk has a set of very old steps that give access to Kilburn Priory.
St Julians Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Lane, NW8 The Lane is a road in the NW8 postcode area
The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Torridon House, NW6 Residential block
Victoria Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Wells Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Mortimer Place, NW6
TUM image id: 1492961898
Kilburn House
Credit: Brent Archives
TUM image id: 1602685827
Print-friendly version of this page