Print-friendly version of this page
Street/road in London NW6
Cannon Stream The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River. Kilburn Grange Park Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road. Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road. Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent. Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6. Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road. Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s. Oaklands Hall On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa. Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road. The Elms The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane. The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century. Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road. Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6. Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down. Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6. Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Brondesbury Park is an affluent suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent.
Brondesbury Park the suburb is centred on the railway station of the same name. It has a number of open spaces, such as Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.
The area was rural until the coming of the railway. The Hampstead Junction Railway route between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road (via Gospel Oak) opened in 1860, but at first there were no stations west of Brondesbury. The line was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1867, but it was not until 1 June 1908 that a station at Brondesbury Park was opened.
But already by 1887, Salusbury Road
, running parallel to the Edgware Road, joined Kilburn to Brondesbury and Willesden Green. The whole of the Church Commissioners' estate east of Salusbury Road
and south of the L. & N.W.R. was built on and there were patches of building and a complete street layout on the Kilburn Park estate to the south. North of the L. & N.W.R. line the street plan was laid out as far as Victoria Road
and building was complete on the former Tanners Mead (north of Kilburn Lane and west of Edgware Road) and Elm Lodge estate. There was some building on both sides of the Hampstead Junction line. The rest of the area between the Hampstead Junction line and Willesden Lane was built up during the late 1880s. South of Willesden Lane building stretched westward to Paddington cemetery and along Brondesbury Road
as far as Salusbury Road
by 1896. Most of the Kilburn Park estate was built up, and south of the L. & N.W.R. building stretched westward to merge with Kensal Green.
Brondesbury along with Brondesbury Park attracted a lot of Irish immigrants and then, after the 1930s, many German Jewish people. Willesden as a whole had 3.5 per cent of the population born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria in 1951, a lot of these in Brondesbury Park.