Print-friendly version of this page
Dowland Street is a street on the Queen's Park Estate, London W10
No known copyright owner. Public domain assumed
Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Albert Road, NW6 Albert Road in NW6 escaped the mass renaming of Albert Roads in London. Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Ariel Road, NW6 Ariel Road was formed from the 1885 combination of Ariel Street and Spencer Terrace. Arundel Gardens, W11 Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. Avondale Park Gardens, W11 Avondale Park Gardens, unlike other roads in the area, was developed in the 1920s when it was laid out on the former workhouse site. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Blenheim Crescent, W11 Blenheim Crescent one of the major thoroughfares in Notting Hill - indeed it features in the eponymous film. Bomore Road, W11 Bomore Road survived post-war redevelopment with a slight change in alignment. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Brunel Mews, W10 Brunel Mews, a tiny cul-de-sac, is the northern extension of Sixth Avenue. Clarendon Road, W11 Clarendon Road is one of the W11’s longest streets, running from Holland Park Avenue in the south to Dulford Street in the north. Codrington Mews, W11 This attractive L-shaped mews lies off Blenheim Crescent between Kensington Park Road and Ladbroke Grove. Colville Gardens, W11 Colville Gardens was laid out in the 1870s by the builder George Frederick Tippett, who developed much of the rest of the neighbourhood. Cornwall Crescent, W11 Cornwall Crescent belongs to the third and final period of building on the Ladbroke estate. Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road. Dart Street, W10 Dart Street runs eastwards from Third Avenue and becomes Marban Road. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Elgin Crescent, W11 Elgin Crescent runs from Portobello Road west across Ladbroke Grove and then curls round to the south to join Clarendon Road. Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down. Exeter Road, NW6 Exeter Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Goldney Road, W9 Goldney Road was built around 1860 on land which was once the property of Westminster Abbey. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kilburn Lane, NW6 Kilburn Lane is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Kilburn Lane, W10 Kilburn Lane runs around the edge of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10. Kingsdown Close, W10 Kingsdown Close is one of a select number of roads in London W10 lying south of Westway. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lansdowne Crescent, W11 Lansdowne Crescent has some of the most interesting and varied houses on the Ladbroke estate, as architects and builders experimented with different styles. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Ledbury Road, W11 Ledbury Road is split between W2 and W11, the postal line intersecting the street. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Mill Lane, NW2 West of the bridge over the railway, Mill Lane enters the NW2 postcode. Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Oliphant Street, W10 Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. Peach Road, W10 Paach Road is one of the newer streets of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10 Pember Road, NW10 Pember Road is one of the side streets to the west of Kilburn Lane, NW10 Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Regent Street, NW10 Regent Street, otherwise an obscure side street is one of the oldest roads in Kensal Green. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Stoneleigh Place, W11 Stoneleigh Place, formerly called Abbey Road, was built across a brickfield in Notting Dale. Talbot Mews, W11 Talbot Mews seems to have disappeared just after the Second Worid War. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. The Mansions, NW6 The Mansions is a residential block on the north side of Mill Lane. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Walmer Road, W11 Walmer Road is the oldest street in the area, dating from the eighteenth century or before. Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue
, Second Avenue
etc up to Sixth Avenue
, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street
, Barfett Street
, Caird Street
, Droop Street
, Embrook Street, Farrant Street
, Galton Street
, Huxley Street
, Ilbert Street
, Kilravock Street
, Lothrop Street
, Marne Street
, Nutbourne Street
, Oliphant Street
, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.