runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts.
Only during the last half of Victoria’s reign was the northern portion of Ladbroke Grove
begun. Whether by accident or design, continuing the line of Ladbroke Grove
in the same direction meant that it met a footbridge over the canal south of the Kilburn Lane
intersection. The road was subsequently built and originally took the name Ladbroke Grove
Road in the northern section.
By 1859 the effects of the over-building of early 1850s Notting Hill were diminishing; empty houses were being occupied for the first time, and half-finished shells were being completed, particularly on and near the Ladbroke estate, where early in 1860, new financial backers were found. With confidence thus restored, the maintenance of the boom in northern Kensington was principally due to the re-opening of the West London Railway to passenger traffic in 1863 and the opening of the Hammersmith and City Railway, which traversed the fields of Notting Dale, in 1864. In anticipation of these events Charles Chambers, a builder, agreed in 1862 to build 238 houses on the Holland estate near the West London Railway, while in Notting Dale, Blake, who was one of the directors of the Hammersmith and City Railway Company, contracted in the same year to buy all the remaining part of the Portobello estate, then consisting of some 130 acres, where he subsequently organised the building of several hundred houses, many of them being of the small terraced variety.
The sharp downward turn in building after 1868, which took place all over London, may have been partly a delayed reflection of the general loss of confidence engendered by the failure of the bill discounting firm of Overend and Gurney in May 1866. After almost a decade of building growth, supply of houses had once again outrun demand—at an auction sale held by Blake in 1870, for instance, the reserve prices for thirteen houses in Ladbroke Grove
were not reached—and that capital was being directed from building to more attractive investments, some of them abroad.
In the 1870s the volume of building in northern Kensington fell by over half.
By the mid 1880s building development in northern Kensington had been largely completed. Except in the north-western extremity, where a few fields still remained, all the open country had been covered with streets, crescents, squares and thousands of houses.
Source: British History Online