Ada Street was named for one of the Pritchard family, local landowners.
The Pritchards owned an estate covering this land in the early nineteenth century. The northern limit of the estate was Duncan Road with Sheep Lane
on its eastern limit.
Some streets, laid out around 1831 or later, were named after the first names of family members, including Ada Street, Emma Street
and Marian Street.
, at the western end of Ada Street, was from about 1800 known as Margaret Place. In 1831, to the north of the Cat and Mutton Bridge, it was renamed Pritchards Place and then Duncan Place. Later it was called Broadway with the ’Market’ added in the late 19th century.