Print-friendly version of this page Albert Bridge
Road is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area.
The Prince Albert Originally called the Albert Tavern, the Prince Albert public house is a three
storey building dating from 1866-68. Anhalt Road, SW11 Anhalt Road is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Battersea Bridge, SW11 Battersea Bridge connects Battersea and Chelsea with the first bridge dating from 1771. Bridge Lane, SW11 Bridge Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Edna Street, SW11 Edna Street is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Ethelburga Street, SW11 Ethelburga Street was named after Saint Æthelburh (Ethelburga), founder and first Abbess of Barking. Hester Road, SW11 Hester Road is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Juer Street, SW11 Juer Street is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Kersley Mews, SW11 Kersley Mews is a rare survival of a local mews and built to serve the residents of Foxmore Street and Kersley Street. Park South, SW11 Park South is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Petworth Street, SW11 Petworth Street was laid out in the late nineteenth century linking two bridge approaches - Albert Bridge Road and Battersea Bridge Road. Rosenau Road, SW11 Rosenau Road was named after Schloss Rosenau, the birthplace and boyhood home of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became the consort of Queen Victoria. Surrey Lane, SW11 Surrey Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area.
Battersea Park station was named after the nearby park.
Battersea Park is a 200 acre green space situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea.
Battersea Park station named after the park, and at first called York Road, opened in 1867.
The first station to carry the name Battersea Park had been opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway as Battersea in 1860 and was located at the southern end of what is now Grosvenor Bridge.
It was named Battersea Park on 1 July 1862 but was sometimes called Battersea Park and Steamboat Pier. It closed on 1 November 1870 concurrently with the opening of Grosvenor Road station situated at the north end of Grosvenor Bridge.
The London Brighton and South Coast Railway opened a high-level line between Pouparts Junction and Battersea Pier Junction on 1 May 1867 as a means of reducing congestion at Stewarts Lane.
York Road (Battersea) station opened at this time. The station was renamed Battersea Park and York Road 1 January 1877 and Battersea Park on 1 June 1885.