Ardwick Road, NW2

Road in/near Temple Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.55801 -0.19734) 

Ardwick Road, NW2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Temple Park · NW2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road.

Major Burgess was the son of Henry Burgess who had purchased the manor of Ardwick near Manchester.


Main source: http://www.camdenhistorysociety.org/s/Street-names-their-origins.pdf
Further citations and sources




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Avenue Farm Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing.
Fortune Green Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Hackney College The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
New West End New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.

NEARBY STREETS
Ajax Road, NW6 Ajax Road was first developed in 1886.
Bracknell Way, NW3 Bracknell Way is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Briardale Gardens, NW3 Briardale Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Burgess Hill, NW2 Burgess Hill runs off of Finchley Road.
Burrard Road, NW6 Burrard Road runs north from Fortune Green Road.
Childs Hill Walk, NW2 Childs Hill Walk is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Church Walk, NW2 Church Walk is a street in Cricklewood.
Croft Way, NW3 Croft Way is a street in Hampstead.
Croftway, NW3 Croftway is a street in Hampstead.
Devonshire Place, NW2 Devonshire Place is a street in Cricklewood.
Farm Avenue, NW2 Farm Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Ferncroft Avenue, NW3 Ferncroft Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Finchley Road, NW2 Finchley Road runs briefly through the NW2 postcode as it passes through Childs Hill.
Fortune Green Road, NW3 Fortune Green Road is a street in Hampstead.
Heath Drive, NW3 Heath Drive, one of the roads connecting Hampstead with the Finchley Road was originally West Hampstead Avenue.
Hocroft Avenue, NW2 Hocroft Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Hocroft Road, NW2 Hocroft Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Hocroft Walk, NW2 Hocroft Walk is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Hollycroft Avenue, NW3 Hollycroft Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Ingham Road, NW3 Ingham Road is a street in Hampstead.
Ingham Road, NW6 Weech Road is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 Kidderpore Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 Kidderpore Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 Lyncroft Gardens is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Lyndale Avenue, NW2 Lyndale Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Lyndale, NW2 Lyndale is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Menelik Road, NW2 Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road.
Parsifal Road, NW6 Parsifal Road runs from Finchley Road to Fortune Green Road.
Pattison Road, NW2 Pattison Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Platt’s Lane, NW2 Platt’s Lane is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Platt’s Lane, NW3 A farmhouse on the edge of the heath was enlarged by Thomas Platt before 1811 and who gave his name to the lane.
Prospect Place, NW2 Prospect Place is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Prospect Road, NW2 Prospect Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Ranulf Road, NW2 Ranulf Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Rose Joan Mews, NW6 Rose Joan Mews is a small cul-de-sac in Fortune Green, NW6
Rosecroft Avenue, NW3 Rosecroft Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Studholme Court, NW3 Studholme Court is a street in Hampstead.
Telegraph Hill, NW3 Telegraph Hill is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Vernon Court, NW2 Vernon Court is a street in Cricklewood.
Weech Road, NW6 Weech Road is a street in Fortune Green, NW6


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hansom cab
TUM image id: 2414
Avenue Farm
TUM image id: 2461
Bracknell Way
TUM image id: 1456924066
Fortune Green
TUM image id: 1557159356
Print-friendly version of this page