Ashley Lane, NW4
Road in/near Hendon, existing until now
Print-friendly version of this page
Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve.
The lane is first mentioned by name in 1594 but it appears to have been part of an important medieval road. Cardinal Wolsey travelled along it on his final journey to York in 1530. The southern part is a made-up road of housing. Crossing north over the A1, it finally becomes a bridleway which runs between Hendon Golf Course and Hendon Cemetery. The lane is the continuation of the route to Oakhampton Road
The northern section is a one hectare Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation, Grade II. The lane has retained its ancient hedgerows, which have developed into narrow belts of woodland. The main trees are Pedunculate oak and ash, together with some wild service-trees, and the hedge bottom flora include ramsons and bluebells.
A small stream, a tributary of Dollis Brook, crosses the lane.
Hasmonean High School Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.
Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.
The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.