Archway Close, N19 Archway Close is part of a pedestrianised area close to Archway station. Archway Road, N19 Archway Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Despard Road, N19 Despard Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Dresden Road, N19 Dresden Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Elm Court, N6 Elm Court is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Flowers Mews, N19 Flowers Mews originally provided stable accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets. Gresley Road, N19 Gresley Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Holland Walk, N19 Holland Walk is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Hornsey Lane, N6 Hornsey Lane is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Macdonald Road, N19 Macdonald Road is notable for a McDonald’s restaurant featuring on a corner.
Navigator Square, N19 Navigator Square is the name chosen for the pedestrianised space outside Archway tube station. St Johns Way, N19 St. John’s Way, originally St. John’s Road, was partially laid out in 1845. Vorley Road, N19 Vorley Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area.
Not only the name of a bridge, but a whole area of north London.
When the tube station opened in 1907, the area was simply the northern end of Holloway Road and had no specific name. Most people referred either to Highgate, Islington or Upper Holloway, a name that is now used for little besides the nearby railway station and the post office. In the hope of attracting patronage, the terminus was originally named Highgate after the village up the hill.
At the time of the station's construction the first cable car in Europe operated non-stop up Highgate Hill
to the village from outside the Archway Tavern. It operated between 1884 and 1909, was a mile and a half long and powered by two steam engines housed in a building on the east side of Highgate High Street. Representatives of other towns and cities came to see the new method working. As a result Birmingham adopted the system for one of its steep hills.
The station was called Highgate station until 1939, subsequently Highgate (Archway), Archway (Highgate) and finally Archway. So ultimately named after the pub, the station was opened as one of the northern terminals of what was then the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway and, as with other tube stations, soon gave its name to the local area.
The current Archway Bridge, after which the tavern to the south was itself named, was built between Highgate and Hornsey. A tunnel was originally planned for the Highgate bypass (to join the Great North Road by avoiding the steep Highgate Hill
road and narrow roads of Highgate village) but this failed due to repeated collapses. Instead, a large cutting was recommended by John Rennie and a high, multi-arched road bridge constructed across this. The first bridge, constructed in the early nineteenth century, was designed by John Nash. The original 1813 bridge was demolished in 1901; the current bridge, known locally as 'Suicide bridge', dates from 1897. The road over the bridge is Hornsey Lane
, which connects Highgate and Crouch End.
From 1813 – 1864, Archway was the site of a toll gate, where travellers had to pay for the next stage of their journey. A plaque on the block of flats at 1 Pauntley Street
commemorates the gate.
It was at Archway that Dick Whittington heard the Bow Bells ringing and returned to London. There is a statue on Highgate Hill
to commemorate this. Nearby Pauntley Street
takes its name from the village of Pauntley in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, traditionally regarded as Dick Whittington’s birthplace.