Print-friendly version of this page
Ashurst Road was built by the British Land Company.
Bramber Road, N12 Bramber Road was built on the former land of the White House Estate. Church Way, N20 Chuch Way was one of the initial roads of the Bethune estate. Crossway, N12 Crossway is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Dudrich Close, N11 Dudrich Close got its name from Dudrich Holdings who developed the site. Friary Close, N12 Friary Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1930. Friary Way, N12 Friary Way dates from the late 1920s and was formerly a private road. Garthway, N12 Garthway is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Hatley Close, N11 Hatley Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1935. Hollickwood Avenue, N12 Hollickwood Avenue was to have been called Lancaster Avenue but the Council insisted on Hollickwood Avenue in 1932. Lewes Road, N12 Lewes Road is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Loring Road, N20 Loring Road was built over Chapel Field - also covered by All Saints’ Church. Manor Drive, N20 In 1929, Friern Barnet Council altered the name of the road from Main Drive to Manor Road. Myddelton Park, N20 Myddelton Park was built by John Miles before 1882 when he erected All Saints’ Church and vicarage nearby. Oakleigh Road North, N20 Oakleigh Road runs north-west from New Southgate parallel with Friern Barnet Lane to Whetstone High Road. St James Avenue, N20 St James Avenue first appears in the 1932 Kelly’s Directory of Finchley although no houses are shown. Summers Lane, N12 Summers Lane has existed from at least the 18th century as a short cut from the main road of Finchley through to Friern Barnet. Summers Row, N12 Summers Row was previously Dunger Place after Henry Dunger, owner of the Flower Pot brewery (1830s-1870s). Sunny Way, N12 Sunny Way is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. The Ridgeway, N11 The Ridgeway is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area. Torrington Park, N12 Torrington Park had been part of Henry Holden’s Friern Park estate lying east of the Great North Road. Warnham Road, N12 Warnham Road is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area.
North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.