Asmara Road, NW2

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.55395 -0.20565) 

Asmara Road, NW2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Cricklewood · NW2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Asmara Road is a named after the capital city of Eritrea.

Eritrea was one of the East African places visited by Major Percy Powell-Cotton who owned the land here.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Earlsfields Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Mill Lane, looking east (1900s) Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.

NEARBY STREETS
Achilles Road, NW6 Achilles Road is a road in Fortune Green, NW6
Agamemnon Road, NW6 Agamemnon Road runs from Ajax Road to Hillfield Road.
Ajax Road, NW6 Ajax Road was first developed in 1886.
Ash Grove, NW2 Ash Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Broomsleigh Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dornfell Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ebbsfleet Road, NW2 Ebbsfleet Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Elm Grove, NW2 Elm Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Fordwych Road, NW2 Fordwych Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Galsworthy Road, NW2 Galsworthy Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Glastonbury Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gondar Gardens, NW6 Gondar Gardens is the westernmost street in Fortune Green, NW6
Hillfield Road, NW6 Hillfield Road is named for an old West Hampstead agricultural estate.
Horton Avenue, NW2 Horton Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Hoveden Road, NW2 Hoveden Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Kendal Court, NW2 Kendal Court is a street in Cricklewood.
Lichfield Road, NW2 Lichfield Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Manstone Road, NW2 Manstone Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Menelik Road, NW2 Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road.
Mill Lane, NW2 West of the bridge over the railway, Mill Lane enters the NW2 postcode.
Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead.
Minster Road, NW2 Minster Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Norman Terrace, NW6 Norman Terrace is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Oak Grove, NW2 Oak Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Ravenshaw Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Richborough Road, NW2 Richborough Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Rondu Road, NW2 Rondu Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Sarre Road, NW2 Sarre Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Skardu Road, NW2 Skardu Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Somali Road, NW2 Somali Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Summit Court, NW2 Summit Court is a street in Cricklewood.
The Mansions, NW6 The Mansions is a residential block on the north side of Mill Lane.
Ulysses Road, NW6 Ulysses Road is one of a series of streets named after the Trojan War.
Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 Wayne Kirkum Way is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Westbere Road, NW2 Westbere Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Westcroft Close, NW2 Westcroft Close is a street in Cricklewood.
Westcroft Way, NW2 Westcroft Way is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Yew Grove, NW2 Yew Grove is a road in the NW2 postcode area


Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Saint Alban's church
TUM image id: 1055
Golders Green Hippodrome
TUM image id: 1057
Ionic Cinema
TUM image id: 1059
Hendon Fever Hospital
TUM image id: 1072
Cedars
TUM image id: 1125
West Hampstead Overgound
TUM image id: 1127
West End Park, 1870s
TUM image id: 1135
Print-friendly version of this page