Atkin Building is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
British Museum station British Museum was a station on the Central line, located in Holborn and taking its name from the nearby British Museum in Great Russell Street. Central School of Ballet Central School of Ballet is a classical ballet school based in London, with students from countries all over the world. Hockley-in-the-Hole Hockley-in-the-Hole was an area where bear-baiting and duelling took place in the 18th century. Staple Inn Staple Inn is London’s only surviving sixteenth-century domestic building, situated on the south side of High Holborn. Thavie’s Inn Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings. Weston’s Music Hall Weston’s Music Hall was a music hall and theatre that opened in 1857. In 1906, the theatre became known as the Holborn Empire. Back Hill, EC1N Back Hill is simply named as it lies off (or to the ’back’) of a main road. Bakers Row, EC1R Bakers Row is one of the streets of London in the EC1R postal area. Bakers Yard, EC1R Bakers Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC1R postal area. Bedford Row, WC1R Bedford Row is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Bloomsbury Square, WC1A The 4th Earl of Southampton was granted a building license for the construction of Bloomsbury Square in 1661. Cosmo Place, WC1N Cosmo Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Dane Street, WC1R Dane Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Elm Street, WC1X Elm Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Ely Court, EC1N Ely Court is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area. Ely Place, EC1N Ely Place is a gated road at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden. Field Court, WC1R Field Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Gate Street, WC2A Gate Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area. Grays Inn, WC1X Grays Inn is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Hand Court, WC1V Hand Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area. Hatton Garden, EC1N Hatton Garden is a street and area noted as London’s jewellery quarter and centre of the UK diamond trade. Hatton Wall, EC1N Hatton Wall is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area. High Holborn, WC1V High Holborn was part of the old road from Newgate and the Tower to the gallows at Tyburn. Holborn Circus, EC1N Holborn Circus is a junction of five highways in the City of London, on the boundary between Holborn, Hatton Garden and Smithfield. Holborn, EC1N Holborn commemorates the River Fleet, also known as the Holbourne stream. John Street, WC1N John Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Johns Mews, WC1N Johns Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Kings Mews, WC1N Kings Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Kirby Street, EC1N Kirby Street was named for Christopher Hatton’s Kirby House in Northamptonshire. Kirk Street, WC1N Kirk Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Leather Lane, EC1N Leather Lane is a street one block west of Hatton Garden, in the Holborn area of London. Lincoln’s Inn Fields, WC2A Lincoln’s Inn Fields is the largest public square in London, laid out in the 1630s under the initiative of the speculative builder William Newton. Lion Court, WC1V Lion Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area. Long Yard, WC1N Long Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Neals Yard, WC1N Neals Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. North Mews, WC1N North Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Old Square, WC2A Old Square is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area. Orange Street, WC1R Orange Street disappeared from the map to be replaced by St Martin’s College of Art (now Central Saint Martins). PO Box 4 Greville St Hatton Garden is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area. PO Box 4 Tooks Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area. PO Box 4 Baldwins Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Ray Street, EC1R Ray Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1R postal area. Sicilian Avenue, WC1A Sicilian Avenue is a shopping parade that diagonally runs in between Southampton Row and Bloomsbury Way. Southampton Buildings, WC2A Southampton Buildings marks the site of the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton, son of Shakespeare’s patron. Vine Hill, EC1R Vine Hill now displays no evidence on the vines that once flourished in the grounds on which it stands. Warner Yard, EC1R Warner Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC1R postal area.
Hol^born is both an area and also the name of the area’s principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles’s High Street and Gray’s Inn Road and then Hol^born Viaduct between Hol^born Circus and Newgate Street.
The area’s first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions ’the old wooden church of St Andrew’ (St Andrew, Hol^born). The name Holborn
may be derived from the Middle English hol
for hollow, and bourne
, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.
It was at first outside the City’s jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City’s jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn
was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival’s Inn, on the northern side.
District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden
, Ely Rents and Ely Place
, St Andrew Holborn
Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn
was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn
District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn
was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.
In the 18th century, Holborn
was the location of the infamous Mother Clap’s molly house but in the modern era High Holborn
has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn
Empire, originally Weston’s Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil
, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.
Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival’s Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars
. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard’s Inn
opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn
tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray’s Inn, is in Holborn
, as is Lincoln’s Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.
A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw’s invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden
was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury’s head office.
, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.
In the early 21st century, Holborn
has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.
station is located at the junction of High Holborn
and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.
The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway)
. Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn
through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.