Print-friendly version of this page Ballards Lane
is the main road linking Finchley Central with North Finchley.
was originally called Over Street, contrasting it with Nether Street
, which still runs in parallel to the west. It was an important medieval thoroughfare, named after a family who were living here in 1263. The estate of Ballards Reding, later Wimbush Farm, stretched across to Fallow Corner.
By the 15th century large houses set in spacious grounds were appearing along the lane. Many of these properties were rebuilt in the 17th century.
With the construction of Regent’s Park Road the lane became a turnpike in 1826 and was extended to a new junction with the Great North Road, bringing an increase in development. By 1851 the lane had 56 houses and seven under construction, which was positively heaving for such a rural outpost of London at this time, and made it the most populous part of Finchley.
Most of Ballards Lane
was rebuilt again from the early years of the 20th century onwards, much of it with parades of shops and flats.
Artsdepot The artsdepot is a multi-purpose cultural centre located in North Finchley and opened on 23 October 2004. Gaumont The Gaumont Finchley opened on 19 July 1937 and was built as a replacement for the Grand Hall across the road. North Finchley North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone. Castle Mews, N12 Castle Mews is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Castle Road, N12 Castle Road was named after the Rev E Castle who owned the land on which the road was built. Dale Grove, N12 Both Dale Grove and Hutton Grove were granted building leases in the 1870s. Derby Avenue, N12 Derby Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Finchley Court, N3 Finchley Court was one of the developments built on the site of large houses along Ballards Lane. Grand Arcade, N12 Grand Arcade is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Grove Road, N12 Grove Road is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. High Road, N12 High Road, N12 is part of the ancient Great North Road - leading from London to Edinburgh. Hutton Grove, N12 Hutton Grove is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Kingsway, N12 Kingsway forms the lower part of the North Finchley triangle. Lambert Way, N12 Lambert Way is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Regent Close, N12 Regent Close is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area.
North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove
. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.