Print-friendly version of this page Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham. Camden Road, NW1 Camden Road is a main road running from Camden up to Holloway Road. Caversham Road, NW5 Caversham Road was named for 18th century landowner, Rev Robert South of Caversham, Cannon of Chris College, Oxford. Corinne Road, N19 Corinne Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North. Lady Margaret Road, NW5 Lady Margaret Road runs north to Ospringe Road with Leverton Street and Montpelier Grove running parallel to the east and west respectively. Leighton Road, NW5 The route of Leighton Road followed an original path from the Assembly House Inn on Kentish Town Road to Maiden Lane. Little Green Street, NW5 Little Green Street was built in the 1780s and is one of the few intact Georgian streets in London. Parkway, NW1 Parkway is one of Camden Town’s older roads - originally called ’The Crooked Lane’. Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927. Rochester Mews, NW1 Rochester Mews is a cobbled through road with a cul-de-sac section off Rochester Road. Station Road, N19 Station Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area.
Kentish Town is first recorded during the reign of King John (1208) as Kentisston.
By 1456 Kentish Town was recognised as a thriving hamlet, and in this period a chapel of ease is recorded as being built for the inhabitants.
The early 19th century brought a lot of modernisation, causing a lot of the area’s rural charm, the River Fleet and the 18th century buildings to vanish.
Large amounts of land were purchased to build the first railway through the area, which can still be seen today. Kentish Town was a prime site for development as the Kentish Town Road
was the main route for the growing city of London to the South.
1877 saw the beginning of mission work in the area as it was, by then, poor. The mission first held their services outside but as their funding increased they built a mission house, chapel, and vicarage.
In 1912 the Church of St Silas the Martyr was finally erected and consecrated, and by December of that year it became a parish in its own right.
Kentish Town was to see further modernisation in the post-World War II period. This means that there are few signs of 19th century influence left in the area.
Today Kentish Town is a busy shopping and business area. It offers libraries, gyms and other entertainments to visitors and its community.
The station was opened by the Midland Railway in 1868 on the extension to its new London terminal at St Pancras.
The separate London Underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR), a precursor of the Northern line. The station was designed by Leslie Green with the ox-blood red glazed terracotta facade and the semi-circular windows at first floor level common to most of the original stations on the CCE&HR and its two associated railways, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and Great Northern Piccadilly & Brompton Railway which opened the previous year.