Bayham Place, NW1
Road in/near Camden Town, existing between the 1790s and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Bayham Place is a short cobbled street.
Dating from the beginnings of Camden Town, it was previously known as Gloucester Street before 1893.
As Gloucester Street, by the 1860s, it was quite a centre for the piano industry with four firms operating there.
In 1955, the Borough of St Pancras
built the Bayham Place Estate here.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire. Arlington Road, NW1 Arlington Road is misnamed from a noble derivation of Harlington, Middlesex. Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham. Curnock Street, NW1 George Curnock was the 19th century proprietor of two wharves on the Regent’s Canal. King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North. Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire. Parkway, NW1 Parkway is one of Camden Town’s older roads - originally called ’The Crooked Lane’. Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927.
Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.
Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative
It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.
The Regent’s Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.
Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.
At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.