Beresford Square, SE18

Road in/near Woolwich Arsenal, existing between 1837 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.186.117 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Woolwich Arsenal · SE18 ·
FEBRUARY
6
2018

Beresford Square dates from early 19th century and was named after the Anglo-Irish general William Beresford.

Beresford Square (c. 1890). Workers leaving the Royal Arsenal are walking past the elegantly designed public convenience.
Credit: Ideal Homes
William Beresford was Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy.

Beresford Square was the result of a series of clearances meaning that some of the buildings are older than the square.

The west side of Beresford Square, was known as the High Pavement. Land to its east was part of the Burrage Estate, named for its 14th-century owner, Bartholomew de Burghersh.

The Salutation Inn stood almost at the northern end of the High Pavement. It had a tea garden and may have had Woolwich’s first theatre, dating from before 1721. That garden later became Salutation Alley with about 20 timber cottages. It was adjudged a slum and cleared in the 1970s. In 1833 the Salutation pub moved to new premises next door.

An 1831 clearance formed a better entrance to the Royal Arsenal and its news gate became known as Beresford Gate, later the Royal Arsenal Gatehouse. In 1837 the square too was named after Beresford.

Most of the commercial buildings around the square were rebuilt in the final two decades of the 19th century.

Throughout the 20th century, Beresford Square remained the centre of Woolwich life.

In 1913, the Woolwich Arsenal Cinematograph Company started a cinema in a building between the Salutation pub and Holy Trinity Church. The cinema, later the Century Cinema was demolished after 1964, along with Holy Trinity, the Salutation Inn and other neighbouring buildings.

Woolwich Market had officially opened in September 1888. The market was open every day bar Sundays. As the market was often overcrowded, plans were presented for the widening of both Beresford Street and Plumstead Road, and by the 1970s, the pedestrianisation of the square.


Citation information: Beresford Square, SE18 – The Underground Map
Further citations and sources


xxx

Beresford Square (c. 1890). Workers leaving the Royal Arsenal are walking past the elegantly designed public convenience.
Ideal Homes


 

Woolwich Arsenal




Print-friendly version of this page