Belgravia Belgravia is an affluent area of Westminster, north of Victoria Station. Buckingham Palace Buckingham Palace is the official London residence and principal workplace of the British monarch. Down Street Down Street, also known as Down Street (Mayfair), is a disused station on the London Underground, located in Mayfair. Goring Hotel The Goring Hotel is a 5-star hotel in London, England. Halkin Hotel The Halkin (styled as The Halkin by COMO) is a 5-star hotel. Hyde Park Corner At the other end of Park Lane from Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner has struck terror into many a learner driver. Memorial Gates The Memorial Gates are a war memorial located at the Hyde Park Corner end of Constitution Hill in London. RAF Bomber Command Memorial The Royal Air Force Bomber Command Memorial is a memorial commemorating the crews of RAF Bomber Command who embarked on missions during the Second World War. Royal Aeronautical Society The Royal Aeronautical Society, also known as the RAeS, is a British-founded multidisciplinary professional institution dedicated to the global aerospace community. Royal Air Force Club The Royal Air Force Club (often referred to as the RAF Club) is situated at 128 Piccadilly. Royal Artillery Memorial The Royal Artillery Memorial is a stone memorial at Hyde Park Corner, dedicated to the First World War casualties of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Royal Mews The Royal Mews is a mews (i.e. combined stables, carriage house and in recent times also the garage) of the British Royal Family. The Berkeley The Berkeley is a five star deluxe hotel, located in Wilton Place. Wellington Arch Wellington Arch is located to the south of Hyde Park at the western corner of Green Park. Achilles Way, W1K Achilles Way is named for the nearby Wellington as Achilles statue in Hyde Park. Beeston Place, SW1W Beeston Place was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate and the family owned land in Beeston, Cheshire. Belgrave Square, SW1X Thomas Cubitt’s greatest achievement, Belgrave Square, is the grandest and largest of his squares, and is the centrepiece of Belgravia. Brick Street, W1J Brick Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Chapel Street, SW1X Chapel Street runs south-west to north-east from Belgrave Square to Grosvenor Place. Down Street, W1J Down Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Groom Place, SW1X Groom Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Portland House Portland House is a block 101 metres tall with 29 floors. Stag Place, SW1E The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved to Stag Place after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Victoria Square, SW1E Victoria Square, a small residential square, lies on land forming part of the Grosvenor Estate to the south of the Royal Mews. Warwick Row, SW1E Warwick Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Wilton Crescent, SW1X Wilton Crescent is notable for its affluent and politically important list of residents, present and historic. Wilton Mews, SW1X Wilton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Wilton Row, SW1X Wilton Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area.
The railways largely replaced the canals as a means of transport. Uniquely for a main line station, Victoria station was built on top of one.
Before the railway arrived in 1862, this area - like the area immediately south of it - was known as Pimlico
. The Grosvenor Canal ended in a large basin here.
Victoria station’s origins lie with the Great Exhibition of 1851, when a railway called the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway
came into existence, serving the site of the exhibition halls which had been transferred to Sydenham from Hyde Park. The terminus of that railway was at Stewarts Lane in Battersea on the south side of the river. In 1858 a joint enterprise was set up to take trains over the river: it was entitled the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway
; and was a mile and a quarter in length. The railway was owned by four railway companies: the Great Western (GWR); London & North Western (LNWR); the London, Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR); and the London Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR). It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1858.
The station was built in two parts: those on the western side, opened in 1862, with six platforms, ten tracks and an hotel (the 300-bedroom Grosvenor) were occupied by the Brighton company; whilst adjacent, and in the same year, the Chatham company were to occupy a less imposing wooden-fronted building. The latter’s station had nine tracks and was shared by broad-gauge trains of the GWR, whose trains arrived from Southall via the West London Extension Joint Railway through Chelsea. The GWR remained part owner of the station until 1932, although its trains had long since ceased to use it. Each side of the station had its own entrance and a separate station master; a wall between the two sections effectively emphasised that fact.
At the start of the twentieth century both parts of the station were rebuilt. It now had a decent frontage and forecourt, but not as yet a unified existence. Work on the Brighton side was completed in 1908 and was carried out in red brick; the Grosvenor Hotel was rebuilt at the same time. The Chatham side, in a Edwardian style with baroque elements, designed by Alfred Bloomfield, was completed a year later. The two sections were eventually connected in 1924 by removing part of a screen wall, when the platforms were renumbered as an entity. The station was redeveloped internally in the 1980s, with the addition of shops within the concourse, and above the western platforms.
The station was now serving boat trains, and during WWI it became the hub of trains carrying soldiers to and from France, many of them wounded. After the war the Continental steamer traffic became concentrated there, including the most famous of those trains, the Golden Arrow. The area around the station also became a site for other other forms of transport: a bus station in the forecourt; a coach terminal to the south; and it is now the terminal for trains serving Gatwick Airport.
Victoria is also well-served by London underground. The sub-surface Circle and District Lines opened on December 24, 1868; and the Victoria Line line came to Victoria Station with the third phase of construction of the line - the station’s platforms were opened on March 7, 1969, six months after the Victoria line had started running in outer London.