Brockley Hill, HA7

Road in/near Canons Park, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.62881 -0.30074, 51.628 -0.3) 

Brockley Hill, HA7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Canons Park · HA7 ·
MARCH
14
2017

The name Brockley Hill probably comes from ‘Brokhole’ meaning ’the badger holes’.

The soil of this area, with the sand and loam of the Claygate Beds, would have made good sites for badgers’ setts.

The hill is part of Watling Street and now part of the A5. Watling Street was built during the early part of the Roman period and has arrived here in a straight line from near modern Marble Arch. there is a curve here to meet the next section. Roman engineers’ used high places as a sighting-point ad it is likely Brockley Hill was one of these. At the top of the hill is a roundabout built in the 1950s when Watling Street was crossed by the new Watford by-pass.

Along the road, Brockley Hill Farm has a 17th century house and barn which are timber framed and weather boarded. The barn has central cart doors. Brockley Hill House is a stuccoed mid-19th house which stood in the grounds of the Royal National Orthopaedic hospital. An older 18th house was probably to the west. It is now converted into flats. Brockley Grange is an 18th century timbered farmhouse with roughcast outside.


Main source: Edith’s Streets
Further citations and sources




NEARBY STREETS
Grantham Close, HA8 Grantham Close is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Hamlyn Close, HA7 Hamlyn Close is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Newlands Close, HA8 Newlands Close is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Nutt Grove, HA8 Nutt Grove is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Pipers Green Lane, HA8 Pipers Green Lane is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Pipers Green Lane, HA8 Pipers Green Lane is a road in the HA7 postcode area
Stanmore & Edgware Golf Centre, HA7 A street within the HA7 postcode
Watford By-pass, HA8 Watford By-pass is a road in the HA7 postcode area
Watford By-pass, HA8 Watford By-pass is a road in the HA8 postcode area


Canons Park

Canons Park - a suburban area named after a long-gone stately home.

Canons Park is named after an early eighteenth century Alexander Blackwell-landscaped park laid out the first Duke of Chandos. The suburb called Canons Park is south of the original park and was open countryside until the 1930s.

Canons Drive follows the original path of the entrance to the Cannons estate, retaining the two large pillars which acted as gateposts where it met the Edgware Road. The remains of a second, raised, carriageway running from Cannons can be traced through Canons Park in the direction of Whitchurch Lane. A 7-acre lake and separate duck pond also formed part of the original Cannons Estate and survive within the boundaries of the Canons Drive residential area.

In December 1932, the Metropolitan railway (later part of the Bakerloo Line and now the Jubilee line) opened a branch from Wembley Park to Stanmore via Kingsbury, Queensbury and Canons Park (then called Canons Park (Edgware). Suburban development slowly followed - the area is now covered with typical 1930s/1940s detached and semi-detached villas.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Elstree South tube station
TUM image id: 1557403292
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Artichoke
TUM image id: 1469029186
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Red Lion about 1900
TUM image id: 1488293340
Licence: CC BY 2.0

Print-friendly version of this page