runs both side of the green of the same name.
The hamlet of Brook Green
was established by the 16th century, originating as an outlying farm or grange to a manor, or as a small freehold estate. The area was originally marshland with a brook running through, and where an annual fair was held until 1823.
The name is first mentioned in 1493 in association with a tributary of the Stamford Brook called Black Bull Ditch or Parr’s Ditch which flowed through the Green, issuing into the Thames south of Chancellor’s Wharf where it formed the boundary between Hammersmith
The brook became polluted with waste from nearby brick fields, was eventually covered, and finally converted to a sewer in 1876.
From the 18th to the mid 19th century the area north and south of Brook Green
was extensively used for market gardening. The land on the north side of Hammersmith
Road, later occupied by Olympia
, had previously been Lee and Kennedy’s nursery gardens, which had covered 18 acres of a former vineyard. In response to the fashionable demand for new and exotic plants the nursery introduced hundreds of plant varieties now regarded as commonplace, most notably the fuchsia from Chile.
did not begin to be desirable for suburban expansion until the 1850s, the maps of the early 19th century clearly showing the rural nature of the area, with only the southern side of Brook Green
being extensively developed. The largest proportion of properties were built during the late 19th century as a response to improved transport links in the area and to increased pressure for housing.
itself is fronted by a mixture of residential and semi-public buildings, but the streets leading off are largely residential.