Bryanston Square, W1G
Road in/near Marylebone, existing between 1815 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Bryanston Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815.
It was named after its founder Henry William Portman’s home village of Bryanston in Dorset.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street. Ashland Place, W1U Alongside the cemetery of Marylebone ran Burying Ground Passage which was renamed Ashland Place in 1886. Bakers Mews, W1U Bakers Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library. Bulstrode Street, W1U Bulstrode Street runs from Welbeck Street in the east to Thayer Street in the west. Bywell Place, W1T Bywell Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Cavendish Square, W1G Cavendish Square was laid out in 1717–18 at the beginning of the transformation of Harley family lands in Marylebone. Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane. Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south. Deans Mews, W1G Deans Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Duchess Mews, W1G Duchess Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Duke Street, W1U Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Dukes Mews, W1U Dukes Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area. Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Harley Place, W1G Harley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767. Hinde Mews, W1U Hinde Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Hinde Street, W1U Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer. Holmes Place, W1U Holmes Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Market Place, W1W Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Moxon Street, W1U Moxon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards. Seymour Mews, W1H Seymour Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street. Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Welbeck Street, W1G Welbeck Street has historically been associated with the medical profession. Welbeck Way, W1G Welbeck Way is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place
forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.