Castellain Mansions, W9
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page Maida Vale Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806. Warwick Avenue Warwick Avenue is an area, street and a Bakerloo Line tube station near Little Venice. Amberley Mews, W9 Amberley Mews starred as Tom Riley’s home in the 1950 movie "The Blue Lamp". Blomfield Road, W9 Blomfield Road is the road running beside the canal on the Little Venice side. Clearwell Drive, W9 Clearwell Drive is a newer street, roughly built over the line of the former Amberley Mews. Elgin Avenue, W9 Elgin Avenue was proposed in an 1827 plan for the area by John Gutch. Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London and ultimately takes its name from a pub. Randolph Avenue, W9 Randolph Avenue was first planned in 1827 by John Gutch, surveyor to the Bishop of London. Stranraer Place, W9 Stranraer Place was a former name for the eastern section of Sutherland Avenue.
Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
The area was developed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the early 19th century as middle class housing. The main building started in the mid 19th century and from the 1860s red brick was used. The first mansion blocks were completed in 1897.
nowadays makes up most of the W9 postal district - the southern part of Maida Vale
at the junction of Paddington Basin with Regent's Canal, with many houseboats, is known as Little Venice. The area to the south-west of Maida Vale
, at the western end of Elgin Avenue
, was historically known as Maida Hill
tube station was opened on 6 June 1915, on the Bakerloo Line.