Print-friendly version of this page
William Caxton was responsible for the introduction of the printing press to England.
The street is named after William Caxton, who introduced the printing press to England. His printing press was established in 1476 in Westminster, close to Little Chapel Street, its original name.
St Ermin’s Hotel
was a meeting place of the British intelligence services, and was notably the birthplace of the Special Operations Executive (SOE).
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Buckingham Palace Buckingham Palace is the official London residence and principal workplace of the British monarch. Little Ben Little Ben is a cast iron miniature clock tower, situated at the intersection of Vauxhall Bridge Road and Victoria Street, close to the approach to Victoria station. Tothill Fields Bridewell Tothill Fields Bridewell (also known as Tothill Fields Prison and Westminster Bridewell) was a prison located in Westminster between 1618 and 1884. Westminster Abbey Westminster Abbey, formally titled the Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, is one of the world’s greatest churches. Westminster Cathedral The ’Metropolitan Cathedral of the Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ’ is the mother church of the Catholic Church in England and Wales. Arneway Street, SW1P Arneway Street is named for Thomas Arneway, former benefactor to the Westminster parish poor. Artillery Place, SW1P Artillery Place was named after a former nearby artillery practice ground which stood here in the 19th century. Ashley Place, SW1P Ashley Place is thought to be named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, Victorian politician and philanthropist. Birdcage Walk, SW1E Birdcage Walk runs east-west from the Parliament Square area (as Great George Street) to Buckingham Palace. Birdcage Walk, SW1H Birdcage Walk runs east from Great George Street, along the south side of St James’s Park. Broadway, SW1H Broadway - formerly the location of the headquarters of both London Transport and the Metropolitan Police. Castle Lane, SW1E Castle Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Deans Yard, SW1P Dean’s Yard comprises most of the precincts of the former monastery of Westminster, not occupied by the Abbey buildings. Old Pye Street, SW1P Old Pye Street gets its name from Sir Robert Pye, member of parliament for Westminster in the time of Charles I.
Portland House Portland House is a block 101 metres tall with 29 floors. Stag Place, SW1E The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved to Stag Place after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Storey’s Gate, SW1H Abraham Storey, one of Wren’s master-masons, built Storey’s Gate that now commemorates his name.
St James’s Park station is not only a station but London Underground HQ - otherwise known as 55 Broadway.
The station was opened on 24 December 1868 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) when the company opened the first section of its line between South Kensington and Westminster stations. The MDR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR, later the Metropolitan Line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the other’s tracks in a joint service known as the Inner Circle
The station has been reconstructed twice. In the first decade of the 20th century the original MDR station was reconstructed in conjunction with the building of Electric Railway House a headquarters building for the MDR’s owners the London Electric Railway. The station was then rebuilt again between 1927 and 1929 as part of the construction of 55 Broadway
the company’s new headquarters building designed by Charles Holden and featuring statues and carved stone panels including ones by Sir Jacob Epstein, Eric Gill, and Henry Moore.
The platforms feature the green, blue, black and white tiling scheme first used for the reconstruction and extension to Morden of the City & South London Railway (now the Northern Line) also designed by Holden and opened between 1924 and 1926.
Together with 55 Broadway
, the station is now a Grade I listed building.
Over time, the station name has been spelled differently, illustrating changing practice in punctuation. Tube maps up to the early 1930s show the name as St. James’ Park
. From Harry Beck’s first map in 1933 until the early 1950s the name was shown as St. James Park
. Since the 1950s it has had the current name.
In the neighbourhood...
Click an image below for a better view...