Chesson Road, W14

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.48588 -0.20546, 51.485 -0.205) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map
Road · West Kensington · W14 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Chesson Road is a street in West Kensington.





Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply
Lived here
Katharina Logan   
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT   

Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.

Source: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSF7-Q9Y7?cc=3734475

Reply

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Gardens, W6 Abbey Gardens stretches north from Humbolt Road.
Aisgill Avenue, W14 Aisgill Avenue is a road in the W14 postcode area
Anselm Road, SW6 Anselm Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Archel Road, W14 Archel Road is a street in West Kensington.
Armadale Road, SW6 This is a street in the SW6 postcode area
Barbara Castle Close, SW6 Barbara Castle Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Barons Court Road, W14 Barons Court Road is a street in West Kensington.
Barton Road, W14 Barton Road is a street in West Kensington.
Beaumont Crescent, W14 Beaumont Crescent is a road in the W14 postcode area
Bellamy Close, W14 Bellamy Close is a road in the W14 postcode area
Bramber Court, SW6 Bramber Court is a street in West Kensington.
Bramber Road, W14 Bramber Road is a street in West Kensington.
Brecon Road, W6 Brecon Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Castletown Road, W14 Castletown Road is a street in West Kensington.
Chaldon Road, SW6 Chaldon Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Challoner Crescent, W14 Challoner Crescent is a street in West Kensington.
Challoner Mansions, W14 Challoner Mansions is a street in West Kensington.
Challoner Street, W14 This is a street in the W14 postcode area
Charleville Road, W14 Charleville Road is a street in West Kensington.
Chestnut Alley, SW6 Chestnut Alley is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Chuter Ede House, SW6 Chuter Ede House is a block on North End Road
Comeragh Mews, W14 Comeragh Mews is a street in West Kensington.
Comeragh Road, W14 Comeragh Road is a street in West Kensington.
Crowther Close, SW6 Crowther Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Delaford Street, SW6 Delaford Street is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Disbrowe Road, W6 Disbrowe Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Empress Place, SW6 Empress Place is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Eustace Road, SW6 Eustace Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Fairholme Road, W14 Fairholme Road is a street in West Kensington.
Fane Street, W14 Fane Street is a road in the W14 postcode area
Faraday Mansions, W14 Faraday Mansions is a street in West Kensington.
Gibbs Green Close, W14 Gibbs Green Close is a road in the W14 postcode area
Gledstanes Road, W14 Gledstanes Road is a road in the W14 postcode area
Greyhound Road, W14 Greyhound Road is a street in West Kensington.
Haldane Road, SW6 Haldane Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Halford Road, SW6 Halford Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Herbert Morrison House, SW6 Residential block
Hugh Gaitskell Close, SW6 Hugh Gaitskell Close is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Humbolt Road, W6 Humbolt Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Ivatt Place, W14 Ivatt Place is a road in the W14 postcode area
Jervis Road, SW6 Jervis Road is a road in the SW6 postcode area
John Smith Avenue, SW6 John Smith Avenue is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Kinnoul Road, W6 Kinnoul Road was laid out in about 1889.
Knivet Road, SW6 Knivet Road is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Lampeter Square, W6 Lampeter Square is a road in the W6 postcode area
Laundry Road, W6 Laundry Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Lillie Road, SW6 Sir John Scott Lillie first laid out the easternmost section of the road across his North End Hermitage estate in 1826
Lillie Road, W6 Lillie Road is a road in the W6 postcode area
Marchbank Road, SW6 Marchbank Road is a road in the W14 postcode area
Marchbank Road, SW6 Marchbank Road is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Margaret Ingram Close, SW6 Margaret Ingram Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Mendora Road, SW6 Mendora Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Moylan Road, W6 Moylan Road is a road in the W6 postcode area
Mulgrave Road, W14 Mulgrave Road is a road in the W14 postcode area
Mund Street, W14 Mund Street is a street in West Kensington.
Musard Road, W6 Musard Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Normand Road, W14 Normand Road is a street in West Kensington.
North End Road, SW6 North End Road is named after the former hamlet of North End.
Palliser Road, W14 Palliser Road is a street in West Kensington.
Pellant Road, SW6 Pellant Road is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Perham Road, W14 Perham Road is a street in West Kensington.
Piemonte Walk, SW6 Piemonte Walk is a location in London.
Prothero Road, SW6 Prothero Road is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Queens Club Gardens, W14 Queens Club Gardens is a street in West Kensington.
Racton Road, SW6 Racton Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Rylston Road, SW6 Rylston Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Sedlescombe Road, SW6 Sedlescombe Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
St Andrew’s Road, W14 St Andrew’s Road is a road in the W14 postcode area
St. Thomas’s Way, SW6 St. Thomas’s Way is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Star Road, W14 Star Road is a street in West Kensington.
Sun Road, W14 Sun Road is a road in the W14 postcode area
Tamworth Street, SW6 Tamworth Street is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Tasso Road, W6 Tasso Road is a street in Hammersmith.
Tilton Street, SW6 Tilton Street is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Tom Williams House, SW6 Residential block
Tournay Road, SW6 Tournay Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Tourney Road, SW6 Tourney Road is a location in London.
Turneville Road, W14 Turneville Road is a street in West Kensington.
Vereker Road, W14 Vereker Road is a street in West Kensington.
Walham Grove, SW6 Walham Grove is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Walham Yard, SW6 Walham Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
West Kensington Mansions, W14 West Kensington Mansions is a street in West Kensington.
Williams Close, SW6 Williams Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Curtain Up This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Harwood Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Anchor This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Clarence This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Colton Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Goose At Fulham This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Old Oak This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Wellington This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


West Kensington

West Kensington station was opened in 1877.

At the beginning of the nineteenth century this was the northern part of the Fulham Fields, a rural area of nurseries, market gardens and small fanns supplying produce to Londoners. The transformation from country idyll to city suburb was hastened by speedier travel to London’s business and commercial centres: the Metropolitan District Railway (now the District Line) was extended from Earls Court to Hammersmith in 1874 with one station on the way, North End (Fulham), which became West Kensington in 1877. The Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (now the Piccadilly Line) arrived in Hammersmith thirty years later, and Barons Court station was opened in 1905. There was never a baron’s court here, the name merely imitated the popular Earl's Court. Encouraged by the arrival of the railways, building firms laid out their tidy housing developments between 1870 and 1890: much work was done by the local firm of Gibbs and Flew, who built the Margravine Estate. In untidy contrast, the older roads wriggle across this area: North End Road from north to south, and Margravine and Greyhound Roads from west to east.

The notable landmarks in this area were provided for Fulham’s burgeoning population. To take advantage of the increased income and leisure of the middle classes, the private Queen's Club was started in 1886. In the 1890s some football internationals were held there, but today it is known as the venue for the pre—Wimbledon men’s tennis tournament.

Not far away is Charing Cross Hospital, which moved to Fulham in 1959. It was not however the first hospital here, since this had been the site of the Fulham Infirmary since 1850. Although originally the Fulham Union Workhouse with room for only thirty or so sick people, its facilities were increasingly called upon as the local population expanded.

By 1914 it was providing general medical and surgical care, as well as training nurses. After the amalgamation with Charing Cross a new hospital was built and pened in 1973.

Finally, on the east side of the hospital is Margravine Cemetery. Although in Fulham, this was the burial ground for Hammersmith after burials in London churchyards were forbidden for health reasons in 1855.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
The St Paul’s Studios block was aimed at the housing of ’bachelor artists’. These unmarried men would require a separate flat for their housekeepers and their artistic endeavours would require the large windows with natural light facing Colet Gardens. And it became so. The block was occupied within a year of being built by the very clientele it had been designed for. The block looked out onto a peaceful suburban scene until the turn of the 1960s. Quiet Colet Gardens, with its milk floats and schoolchildren, fell victim to the upgraded A4 scheme whereby the Cromwell Road was extended westwards to link to the Hammersmith Flyover via this very spot. Renamed as part of the Talgarth Road, the widened route became the main road west out of London towards Heathrow. Thundering lorries put paid to the artistic charms of St Paul’s Studios. Pictures is from the St Paul’s Studios 1891 sales brochure
Credit: Building News magazine
TUM image id: 1604753931
Licence:

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
St Cuthbert’s, Philbeach Gardens is a Grade I listed Anglican church in Earls Court. It was built between 1884 and 1887, designed by the architect Hugh Roumieu Gough (1843–1904) and hailed as a jewel of the Arts and Crafts movement of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Trearddur72
Licence:


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy