Chiswick High Road, W4

Road in/near Chiswick, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.49271 -0.25457) 

Chiswick High Road, W4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Chiswick · W4 ·
FEBRUARY
17
2018

Chiswick High Road is the main road through Chiswick.

Chiswick was a riverside village that got its name, rather unglamorously, from the Old English for ‘cheese farm’ because of an association with an annual cheese fair.

Chiswick was known chiefly for Chiswick House, near its centre, and for 18th- and 19th-century buildings at Chiswick village, referred to as Old Chiswick, and Strand-on-the-Green, respectively at the eastern and western ends of a loop in the Thames.

The parish’s main settlements, lying near its edges, were separated until the 19th century by fields, gardens, and parkland. Forerunners of the existing Chiswick House, which was created by the earl of Burlington (d. 1753) and enlarged by his Cavendish heirs, the dukes of Devonshire, lay between Chiswick village and, to the northwest, Little Sutton and Turnham Green.

The parish had offered a country retreat for Henry VI and later for prelates in the 15th century and for courtiers and the scholars of Westminster from the 16th. By 1706 its ’sweet air and situation’ had brought it many noble seats, although it was after the building of Chiswick House that it became most popular.

Old Chiswick was in 1980 the accepted name of Chiswick village, itself recorded c. 1000 and so perhaps named earlier than Sutton, of which it was once thought to have been an outlying hamlet. From the early 17th to the 19th centuries it was known as Chiswick town or simply as ’the town’. The description, besides emphasizing that it was the main village, perhaps served to distinguish its more elegant part from a cluster of riverside cottages known by 1723-4 as Sluts Hole (in 1865 Fisherman’s Corner).

The settlement apparently grew up immediately east of the church, mentioned in 1181, and away from the river. Church Street there ran northward from the ferry, with a continuation across the open field which lay between the village and the high road to London and Brentford. A little to the east of Church Street and close to the river stood a stone building of c. 1100, the oldest known part of the prebendal manor house (later College House). Presumably that building and its neighbours were reached by a way leading eastward from the ferry along the river bank, the forerunner of Chiswick Mall, although it is not clear how far the medieval road extended.

In the late 16th and early 17th centuries the grandest residents lived on the outskirts of the village: the Russells at Corney House to the west, and the Wardours, the earl of Somerset and their successors in a forerunner of Chiswick House, to the north. What was later Chiswick Mall, however, contained the vicarage house at the bottom of Church Street by 1589-90 besides the old prebendal manor house, enlarged c. 1570 for Westminster school, and a substantial forerunner of Walpole House. They probably stood near other imposing houses, afterwards rebuilt, since in 1706 Bowack noted the interior decoration of some ’very ancient’ dwellings by the river. In Church Street the later Burlington Arms, so called by 1751, existed in the early 16th century.

In 1746 Old Chiswick was still mainly a riverside village, extending eastward along the gravel into Hammersmith but no farther west than Corney House, beyond which lay marshes. Church Street ran a short way inland before turning left to meet Burlington Lane, and from the churchyard a narrow way, in 1752 called Paul’s Walk and later Powell’s Walk, provided a north-westerly short cut to the lane and Chiswick House. Roads radiated from north of the junction of Church Street with Burlington Lane, near the modern Hogarth roundabout: Chiswick Field Lane led straight to the high road, while a forerunner of Hogarth Lane led north-westward to Turnham Green, and Mawson Lane led north-eastward to meet Chiswick Lane by the brewery. Parallel with Chiswick Field Lane, Chiswick Lane led to the Chiswick High Road from half way along the river front, as did a forerunner of British Grove from behind its eastern end, where it joined a lane which ran behind the riverside houses from Church Street into Hammersmith. Away from the river houses lined both sides of Church Street to the point where it met Burlington Lane, a little beyond which they formed Chiswick Square. Buildings also stretched up Chiswick Lane to the corner of Mawson Lane, which ran south-west to Church Street. A few detached houses, one of them soon to be taken by William Hogarth, stood at the Old Chiswick end of the road across the common field to Turnham Green.

The village spread very little between the mid 18th and late 19th centuries. By 1801, with 1,023 inhabitants in 172 houses, it was less populous than Turnham Green, which by 1839 had the greater number of inns. Chiswick Mall contained a few tall trees on a grassy verge between the road and the river in 1827. Its houses retained large back gardens in the 1860s, when they also had their existing plots along the riverside verge. There was still open country, owned by the duke of Devonshire, west of the churchyard, besides the estate of the Prebend manor, including Home field, to the north. More houses stood at the south end of Hogarth Lane, beyond the village, and in Burlington Lane the Cedars, from c. 1863 the home of the landscape painter Henry Dawson (1811-78), faced Corney Lodge at the end of Powell’s Walk. Changes in the village itself arose mainly from industry: the Griffin brewery had expanded beside Chiswick Lane, the Lamb brewery had grown up off Church Street, and the cottages below the church were about to make way for the workshops of Thornycroft & Co., the shipbuilders.

The late 19th century saw the village joined by housing both to the suburbs along the high road and to the western districts of Hammersmith. Its declining importance as a centre of parish life, already foreshadowed by the opening of churches and schools at Turnham Green and Chiswick New Town, was accelerated by its remoteness from the railways and by the rise of new suburbs, with their own services. Old Chiswick thus became a residential backwater, varied by some thriving industry. It lost its most ancient buildings, with the demolition of College House and the reconstruction of the church, but expensive houses were still put up in Chiswick Mall.

On 10 May 1830 the 16th Company of the newly formed Metropolitan Police came into existence when men of Kensington or ’T’ Division started their presence in Chiswick and Brentford. Brentford was the western boundary of the Metropolitan Police District for the next decade.

Although rural in nature Chiswick and Brentford still suffered with traffic congestion. No fewer than 50 stagecoaches passed though the towns daily en route to the southwest.

The construction of the London and South Western Railway brought further development to the area when a line was opened from Waterloo with stations at Chiswick, Kew Bridge, and Brentford. In January 1869 the company opened stations at Bedford Park (now Turnham Green) and Brentford Road (now Gunnersbury). The District line opened in July 1879 with a new station at Acton Green (now Chiswick Park).



Main source: Chiswick: Growth | British History Online
Further citations and sources



Chiswick High Road (1900s)

Chiswick High Road (1900s)
User unknown/public domain

NEARBY STREETS
Abinger Road, W4 Abinger Road is a street in Chiswick.
Acton Park Industrial Estate Acton Park Industrial Estate .
Acton Park Industrial Estate, W3 Acton Park Industrial Estate is in Acton.
Addison Grove, W4 Addison Grove is a road in the W4 postcode area
Agnes Road, W3 Agnes Road is a street in Acton.
Airedale Avenue, W4 Airedale Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Alexandra Gardens, W4 Alexandra Gardens is a street in Chiswick.
Alexandra Road, W4 Alexandra Road is part of the Southfield Park Triangle.
Allied Way, W3 Allied Way is a street in Acton.
Annandale Road, W4 Annandale House, a house on this site, gave its name to Annandale Road.
Annardale Road, W4 Annardale Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Anstice Close, W4 Anstice Close is a road in the W4 postcode area
Arnott Close, W4 Arnott Close is a road in the W4 postcode area
Ashbourne Grove, W4 Ashbourne Grove is the first of a series of road names in alphabetical order.
Aylmer Road, W12 Aylmer Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Balfern Grove, W4 Balfern Grove is claimed by the local historical society as one of the least imaginative approaches to road naming in Chiswick.
Bath Road, W4 Bath Road is a street in Chiswick.
Bedford Corner, W4 Bedford Corner is a street in Chiswick.
Bedford Park Corner, W4 Bedford Park Corner is a street in Chiswick.
Bedford Park, W4 Bedford Park is a street in Chiswick.
Bedford Road, W4 Bedford Road is a street in Chiswick.
Bennett Street, W4 Bennett Street is a street in Chiswick.
Beverley Road, W4 Beverley Road is a street in Chiswick.
Binns Road, W4 Binns Road is a street in Chiswick.
Blandford Road, W4 Blandford Road is a street in Chiswick.
Blenheim Road, W4 Blenheim Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Bond Street, W4 Bond Street is a street in Chiswick.
Boston Gardens, W4 Boston Gardens is a road in the W4 postcode area
Bourne Place, W4 Bourne Place is a street in Chiswick.
Brackley Road, W4 Brackley Road is a street in Chiswick.
Brackley Terrace, W4 Brackley Terrace is a street in Chiswick.
Brookfield Road, W4 Brookfield Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Burlington Lane, W4 Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington was the builder of Chiswick House - its park adjacent to the road.
Canham Mews, W3 Canham Mews is a street in Acton.
Canham Road, W3 Canham Road is a street in Acton.
Chardin Road, W4 Chardin Road is a street in Chiswick.
Chiswick Common Road, W4 Chiswick Common Road is a street in Chiswick.
Chiswick Health Centre Fishers Lane, W4 Chiswick Health Centre Fishers Lane is a street in Chiswick.
Chiswick Lane South, W4 Chiswick Lane South is a street in Chiswick.
Chiswick Lane, W4 Chiswick Lane is a street in Chiswick.
Chiswick Square, W4 Chiswick Square is a street in Chiswick.
Church Street, W4 Church Street is a street in Chiswick.
Cleveland Avenue, W4 Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland, lived in Walpole House and was buried in St Nicholas Church.
Clifton Gardens, W4 Clifton Gardens is a street in Chiswick.
Cobbold Road, W12 Cobbold Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Cobbold Road, W3 Cobbold Road is a road in the W3 postcode area
Coniston Close, SW13 A street within the SW13 postcode
Coombe Road, W4 Coombe Road is a street in Chiswick.
Corney Reach Way, W4 Corney Reach Way is a street in Chiswick.
Corney Road, W4 Corney Road was named for Corney House.
Cornwall Grove, W4 Cornwall Grove is the middle of five groves with names beginning A to E.
Cowley Road, W3 Cowley Road is a street in Acton.
Cranbrook Road, W4 Cranbrook Road is a street in Chiswick.
Curricle Street, W3 Curricle Street is a street in Acton.
Dale Street, W4 Dale Street is a street in Chiswick.
Dartmouth Place, W4 Dartmouth Place is a street in Chiswick.
Devonshire Mews, W4 Devonshire Mews is a street in Chiswick.
Devonshire Passage, W4 Devonshire Passage is a road in the W4 postcode area
Devonshire Road, W4 Devonshire Road is a street in Chiswick.
Devonshire Street, W4 Devonshire Street is a road in the W4 postcode area
Dolphin Square, W4 Dolphin Square is a street in Chiswick.
Dorchester Grove, W4 Dorchester Grove is situated just north of the Hogarth Roundabout.
Dordrecht Road, W3 Dordrecht Road is a road in the W3 postcode area
Du Cros Road, W3 Du Cros Road is a road in the W3 postcode area
Duke Road, W4 Duke Road is a street in Chiswick.
Dukes Avenue, W4 Dukes Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Eastbury Grove, W4 Eastbury Grove links four other streets beginning with letters A to D: Ashbourne Grove, Balfern Grove, Cornwall Grove and Dorchester Grove.
Eastman Road, W3 Eastman Road is a street in Acton.
Edensor Gardens, W4 Edensor Gardens is a street in Chiswick.
Edensor Road, W4 Edensor Road is named after a Derbyshire village owned by the Cavendish family who owned the land the road was built upon.
Elliott Road, W4 Elliott Road is a street in Chiswick.
Emlyn Road, W12 Emlyn Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Emlyn Road, W6 Emlyn Road is a road in the W6 postcode area
Ennismore Avenue, W4 Ennismore Avenue was originally named after a pub.
Esmond Road, W4 Esmond Road is a street in Chiswick.
Essex Park Mews, W3 Essex Park Mews is a street in Acton.
Fairfax Road, W4 Fairfax Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Fielding Road, W4 Fielding Road is a street in Chiswick.
Fishers Lane, W4 Fishers Lane is a street in Chiswick.
Flanders Mansions, W4 Flanders Mansions is a street in Chiswick.
Flanders Road, W4 Flanders Road is a street in Chiswick.
Foster Road, W4 Lady Elizabeth Foster, the 5th Duke of Devonshire’s mistress, later became his wife.
Fraser Street, W4 Fraser Street is a street in Chiswick.
Gainsborough Road, W4 Gainsborough Road is a street in Chiswick.
Glebe Close, W4 Glebe Close is a road in the W4 postcode area
Glebe Street, W4 Glebe Street is a street in Chiswick.
Grantham Road, W4 Grantham Road has two possible derivations.
Greenend Road, W4 Greenend Road was approved by the local council in 1907 and became a highway in 1909.
Gwynne Close, W4 Gwynne Close is a road in the W4 postcode area
Hamilton Road, W4 Hamilton Road was originally called Latterbarrow Road, but its name was changed at its residents’ request in 1911.
Hartswood Road, W12 Hartswood Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Hatfield Road, W4 Hatfield Road stands on land that had previously been part of the Cowper-Essex estate, agricultural land also known as the Oldfield lands.
Hawkshead Road, W4 Hawkshead Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Hogarth Business Park, W4 Hogarth Business Park is a street in Chiswick.
Hogarth Lane, W4 William Hogarth is buried in the parish church, and his house, now a museum, is in the road.
Hogarth Roundabout, W4 Hogarth Roundabout is a road in the W4 postcode area
Holly Road, W4 Holly Road is a street in
Homefield Road, W4 Homefield Road is a street in Chiswick.
Jeddo Road, W12 Jeddo Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Kings Yard, E15 Kings Yard is one of the streets of London in the E15 postal area.
Kinnear Road, W12 This is a street in the W12 postcode area
Larden Road, W3 Larden Road is a street in Acton.
Linden Gardens, W4 Linden Gardens is named after Linden House, which stood here.
Lonsdale Road, W4 Lonsdale Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Marlborough Crescent, W4 Marlborough Crescent is a street in Chiswick.
Mawson Lane, W4 Mawson Lane is a road in the W4 postcode area
Mayfield Avenue, W4 Mayfield Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Mayfield Road, W12 Mayfield Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Merton Avenue, W4 Merton Avenue was named after a large local house - Merton Lodge.
Multi Way, W3 Multi Way is a road in the W3 postcode area
Netheravon Road South, W4 Netheravon Road South is a street in Chiswick.
Netheravon Road Subway, W4 Netheravon Road Subway is a road in the W4 postcode area
Newton Grove, W4 Newton Grove is a street in Chiswick.
Old Burlington Lane, W4 Old Burlington Lane is a road in the W4 postcode area
Palgrave Road, W12 Palgrave Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Park Road North, W4 Park Road North is a street in Chiswick.
Paxton Road, W4 The 6th Duke of Devonshire’s gardener was Sir Joseph Paxton, the designer of the Crystal Palace.
Powell’s Walk, W4 Powell’s Walk is a road in the W4 postcode area
Prince Of Wales Terrace, W4 Prince Of Wales Terrace is a street in Chiswick.
Priory Avenue, W4 Priory Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Priory Gardens, W4 Priory Gardens is a street in Chiswick.
Promenade Approach, W4 Promenade Approach is a road in the W4 postcode area
Pumping Station Road, W4 Pumping Station Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Queen Anne’s Gardens, W4 Queen Anne’s Gardens is a road in the W4 postcode area
Queen Anne’s Grove, W4 Queen Anne’s Grove is a road in the W4 postcode area
Queen Anns Grove, W4 Queen Anns Grove is a street in Chiswick.
Quick Road, W4 Quick Road is a street in Chiswick.
Ramillies Road, W4 Ramillies Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Reckitt Road, W4 Reckitt Road is a street in Chiswick.
Riverside Drive, SW13 Riverside Drive is a road in the SW13 postcode area
Riverside Drive, W4 Riverside Drive is a road in the W4 postcode area
Rock Lane, CR3 Rock Lane is a road in the CR3 postcode area
Roman Road, W4 Roman Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Rugby Road, W4 Rugby Road appears unnamed on the Ordnance Survey map of 1894, and was declared a highway in 1903.
Rupert Road, W4 Rupert Road is a street in Chiswick.
Russell Close, W4 Russell Close is a street in Chiswick.
Rusthall Avenue, W4 Rusthall Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Salisbury Court, W4 Salisbury Court is a street in Chiswick.
Saltcoats Road, W4 Saltcoats Road was named after a place in Cumbria.
Shirley Road, W4 Shirley Road is a street in Chiswick.
Short Road, W4 Short Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
South Parade, W4 South Parade is a street in Chiswick.
Southfield Road, W4 Southfield Road was laid out before most of the housing in the neighbourhood was built.
Speldhurst Road, W4 Speldhurst Road is a street in Chiswick.
St Georges Road, W4 St Georges Road is one of the Southfield Park Triangle roads.
Stanley Gardens, W3 Stanley Gardens is a street in Acton.
Stanley Road, W4 Stanley Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Strauss Road, W4 Strauss Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Stronsa Road, W12 Stronsa Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Sutherland Road, W4 Harriet, Duchess of Sutherland, lived in Chiswick House in the 19th century.
Swainson Road, W3 Swainson Road is a street in Acton.
Swanscombe Road, W4 Swanscombe Road is a street in Chiswick.
Thames Crescent, W4 Thames Crescent is a road in the W4 postcode area
The Avenue, W4 The Avenue is one of the roads of the Bedford Park estate.
The Axis, W4 The Axis is a road in the W4 postcode area
The Gatehouse Hogarth Lane, W4 The Gatehouse Hogarth Lane is a street in Chiswick.
The Orchard, W4 The Orchard is a street in Chiswick.
The Vale Acton, W3 The Vale Acton is a street in Acton.
The Vale, W3 The Vale is a street in Acton.
Thornton Avenue, W4 Dr Thornton was the Prebendary of Chiswick when his avenue was built.
Turnham Green Terrace Mews, W4 Turnham Green Terrace Mews is a street in Chiswick.
Turnham Green Terrace, W4 Turnham Green Terrace is a street in Chiswick.
Upham Park Road, W4 Upham Park Road is a street in Chiswick.
Vale Grove, W3 Vale Grove is a street in Acton.
Valetta Road, W3 Valetta Road is a street in Acton.
Vanbrugh Road, W4 Vanbrugh Road is a road in the W4 postcode area
Verona Court, W4 Verona Court is a road in the W4 postcode area
Walnut Tree Close, SW13 Walnut Tree Close is a road in the SW13 postcode area
Warple Mews, W3 Warple Mews is a street in Acton.
Warple Way, W3 Warple Way is a street in Acton.
Welstead Way, W4 Welstead Way is a road in the W4 postcode area
Welstead Way, W6 Welstead Way is a road in the W6 postcode area
Whellock Road, W4 Whellock Road is a street in Chiswick.
Wilton Avenue, W4 Wilton Avenue is a street in Chiswick.
Windmill Passage, W4 Windmill Passage is a road in the W4 postcode area
Windmill Road, W4 Windmill Road is a street in Chiswick.
Wood Street, W4 Wood Street is a road in the W4 postcode area
Woodstock Road, W4 Woodstock Road is a street in Chiswick.


Chiswick

Chiswick: Cheese Farm.

Chiswick is a large suburb of west London. It contains Hogarth's House, the former residence of the 18th century English artist William Hogarth; Chiswick House, a neo-Palladian villa regarded as one of the finest in England; and Fuller's Brewery, London's largest and oldest brewery.

Chiswick is located on a meander of the River Thames which is heavily used for competitive and recreational rowing, and Chiswick itself is home to several clubs. The finishing post for the Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge.

The area was historically an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, with an agrarian and fishing economy. Having good communications with London from an early time Chiswick became a popular country retreat, and as part of the suburban growth of London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries the population significantly expanded. It became the Municipal Borough of Brentford and Chiswick in 1932 and has formed part of Greater London since 1965.

Chiswick was first recorded c.1000 as Ceswican; the name Chiswick is of Old English origin meaning 'Cheese Farm' and originates from the riverside meadows and farms that are thought to have supported an annual cheese fair on Dukes Meadows up until the 18th century.

Chiswick grew up as a fishing village around St Nicholas church on Church Street. The parish included Strand-on-the-Green, Little Sutton and Turnham Green. By the early nineteenth century the fishing industry in and around Chiswick was declining as the growth of industry and the invention of the flush toilet were causing pollution in the river. Fish began to die out and the river became unsuitable as a spawning ground. Locks upstream also made the river impassable by migratory fish such as salmon and shad. From the 18th century onwards the High Road became built up with inns and large houses.

The population of Chiswick grew almost tenfold during the 19th century, reaching 30,000 in 1901, and the area is a mixture of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian housing. Suburban building began in Gunnersbury in the 1860s and in Bedford Park, on the borders of Chiswick and Acton, in 1875.

The first V-2 rocket to hit London fell on Chiswick on 8 September 1944, killing three people, injuring 22 others and causing extensive damage to surrounding trees and buildings. Six houses were demolished by the rocket and many more suffered damage. There is a memorial where the rocket fell on Staveley Road. There is also a War Memorial at the east end of Turnham Green.
Print-friendly version of this page