Print-friendly version of this page
Clifford Gardens is a street just north of the railway at Kensal Rise.
The All Souls’ estate now stretches from Kensal Green to Harlesden. Many of the houses were built by Charles Langler and Charles Pinkham in the last decade of the nineteenth century.Licence:
Their most noteworthy houses are those in Clifford Gardens built around 1897, the facades of which are decorated with quaint and curious stucco scenes. These were fashioned by an old Hampstead man employed by Langler and Pinkham.
Clifford Gardens ran originally beyond the southern boundary of the National Athletic Ground.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Pediment in Clifford Gardens
Chamberlayne Farm Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Bathurst Gardens, NW10 Bathurst Gardens, NW10 is an east-west road connecting the junction of All Souls Avenue with College Road. College Road, NW10 College Road was named after All Soul’s Collage in Oxford which owned the land that the street was built upon. Purves Road, NW10 Purves Road is named after the solicitor of the United Land Company who were developers in this area.
Kensal Green, site of England’s oldest cemetery still in use.
Kensal Green is the site of Kensal Green Cemetery, the oldest English cemetery still in operation, which contains many elaborate Victorian mausoleums, including those of William Makepeace Thackeray and Anthony Trollope.
Kensal Green is now a residential area with good transport links to central London, surrounding districts include Willesden Green to the north, Harlesden to the west, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Ladbroke Grove to the south. The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.
Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road
, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road
and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.
Kensal Green station opened on 1 October 1916 on the New Line on the north side of the existing London and North Western Railway tracks from Euston to Watford.