Print-friendly version of this page
Bridge Avenue is a location in London.
Upminster is a suburban town and part of the London Borough of Havering.
Upminster was historically, a rural village in Essex and formed an ancient parish.
Although peripheral to London, the town has good transport links; it was first connected to central London by rail in 1885 and has a terminal station on the London Underground network.
The economic history of Upminster is characterised by a shift from farming to garden suburb. As part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century, Upminster significantly expanded and increased in population, becoming part of Hornchurch Urban District in 1934, and has formed part of Greater London since 1965.
The London Tilbury and Southend Railway connected London with Tilbury in 1854 and with Southend in 1856. The route to Southend was not direct, taking a considerable diversion in order to serve the port at Tilbury. Between 1885 and 1888 a new direct route from Barking to Pitsea was constructed, with the station at Upminster opening in 1885.
The Whitechapel and Bow Railway opened in 1902 and allowed through services of the Metropolitan District Railway to operate over the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway tracks to Upminster. The District Railway converted to electric trains in 1905 and services were lost at Upminster when they were cut back to East Ham. Branches were opened by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway to Grays in 1892 and Romford in 1893. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway was purchased by the Midland Railway in 1912 and was amalgamated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway on 1 January 1923.
The District Railway electric service extended eastward towards Upminster as far as Barking in 1908. Delayed by World War I, an additional pair of electrified tracks were extended by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and services of the District resumed at Upminster in 1932.
The District Railway was incorporated into London Transport in 1933, and became known as the District line. A new station at Upminster Bridge became the next station to the west in 1934.