Commonwealth Way, SE2
Road in/near Abbey Wood, existing between 1901 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Commonwealth Way is part of the Bostall Estate which was built between 1901 and 1914.
When completed, a total of 1,052 houses had been erected on the Estate.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Abbey Grove, SE2 Abbey Grove is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Ampleforth Road, SE2 Ampleforth Road is one of of the streets on the Abbey Wood Estate named after monastic houses. Averley Road, SE2 Averley Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Binsey Walk, SE2 Binsey Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Bostall Lane, SE2 Bostall Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Congress Road, SE2 Congress Road was part of the Bostal Estate which was developed by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society. Dahlia Road, SE2 Dahlia Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Eynsham Drive, SE2 Eynsham Drive dates from the late 1950s with the construction of the Abbey Wood Estate. Godstow Road, SE2 Godstow Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Knee Hill, SE2 Knee Hill forms the boundary between the modern boroughs of Bexley and Greenwich and the ancient parishes of Plumstead and Erith. Lodge Hill, SE2 Lodge Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Sewell Road, SE2 Sewell Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Thistlebrook, SE2 Thistlebrook is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Wilton Road, SE2 Wilton Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area.
Between Plumstead to the west and Erith to the east, Abbey Wood takes its name from the nearby Lesnes Abbey and Bostall Woods.
The original 19th century Abbey Wood (known locally as The Village
) is the area immediately south of Abbey Wood railway station, built where Knee Hill
became Harrow Manorway
and crossed the railway (North Kent Line). This is now the centre where three phases of house building (almost) meet.
The Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS) bought two farms on the hillside to the south and between 1900 and 1930 built the Bostall Estate. Once known as Tin Check Island
after the Society’s dividend system, this has streets named for Co-operative themes (Alexander McLeod, Rochdale, Robert Owen, Congress), a school & shops but no pubs.
Between 1956 & 1959 the London County Council built the Abbey Estate on former Royal Arsenal marshland to the north (between the railway and the Southern Outfall sewer bank heading for Crossness). Predominently conventional brick houses with gardens, equipped with shopping centres, schools and open spaces, the estate was used to rehouse people from London’s East End. The main through-road is Eynsham Drive
In the early 1970s the Greater London Council began building the first phase of Thamesmead on more ex-Royal-Arsenal land, north-east of Abbey Wood station. The original railway level crossing was replaced by a flyover.
In 1951 Abbey Wood was the destination of the last of the pre-war trams to run in London.
Abbey Wood railway station serves the suburb. It was opened by the South Eastern Railway on 30 July 1849.
During the 1860s William Morris famously used a decorated wagon to commute between this station and his new home at Red House, Bexleyheath, occasionally with his eccentric and artistic house guests.
The station has been rebuilt twice to cater for the changing nature of the area. The station was to be served by the proposed Greenwich Waterfront Transit, however the project was cancelled due to lack of funds.