Print-friendly version of this page
Courtfield Gardens is named after the field beneath it, cultivated until the 19th century.
Ansdell Terrace, W8 Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North.
Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Ball Street, W8 Ball Street was created by the Kensington Improvement Scheme of 1868-71, carried out by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Berkeley Gardens, W8 Berkeley Gardens is a short street which runs between Brunswick Gardens and Kensington Church Street containing terraced houses on both sides with small front gardens. Bina Gardens, SW5 Bina Gardens is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Brunswick Gardens, W8 Brunswick Gardens runs north from Vicarage Gate - a wide tree-lined road with white stuccoed terraces on either side. Campden Grove, W8 Campden Grove runs between Kensington Church Street and Hornton Street.
Childs Place, SW5 Childs Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Derry Street, W8 Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s. Edith Grove, SW10 Edith Grove is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. Farnell Mews, SW5 Farnell Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Fulham Road, SW10 Fulham Road is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. Gloucester Road, SW7 Gloucester Road is a main street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Ifield Road, SW10 Ifield Road is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. Kensington Court Gardens Kensington Court Gardens is a late Victorian mansion block, completed in 1889, near to Kensington Palace and Gardens. Kensington High Street, W8 Kensington High Street is one of western London’s most popular shopping streets, with upmarket shops serving a wealthy area. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kramer Mews, SW5 Kramer Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Palace Gate, W8 Palace Gate was previously part of Gloucester Road and developed in the 1860s Plaza, SW10 Plaza is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. Priory Walk, SW10 Priory Walk and Milborne Grove both have development on one side of the road only and together they book-end Harley Gardens. Redcliffe Gardens, SW10 Redcliffe Gardens began life as Walnut Tree Walk, a pathway running through nurseries and market gardens. Seymour Walk, SW10 Seymour Walk was almost entirely built between the 1790s-1820s in an area then known as Little Chelsea. Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. The Boltons, SW10 The Boltons is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. The Little Boltons, SW10 The Little Boltons - originally called "The Grove" - connects Old Brompton Road with Tregunter Road. The Mansions, SW5 The Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. The Plaza, SW10 The Plaza is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. Tregunter Road, SW10 Development began at the east end of Tregunter Road in 1851 and was complete by 1866 at the west end. Young Street, W8 Young Street, named after the developer of Kensington Square, was in use as a road by 1685.
Earls Court is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Earls Court was once a rural area, covered with green fields and market gardens. For over 500 years the land, part of the ancient manor of Kensington, was under the lordship of the Vere family, the Earls of Oxford and descendants of Aubrey de Vere, who held the manor of Geoffrey de Montbray, bishop of Coutances, in Domesday Book in 1086. The earls held their manorial court where Old Manor Yard
is now, just by the London Underground station.
The construction of the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) station in 1865–69 was a catalyst for development. On 12 April 1869, the MDR (now the District Line) opened tracks through Earl’s Court as part of a south-westward extension from its station at Gloucester Road
to West Brompton where the MDR opened an interchange with the West London Extension Joint Railway. In the quarter century afterwards, Earls Court was transformed into a densely populated suburb with 1200 houses and two churches. Eardley Crescent and Kempsford Gardens
were built between 1867 and 1873, building began in Earls Court Square
and Longridge Road in 1873, in Nevern Place in 1874, in Trebovir Road
and Philbeach Gardens in 1876, and Nevern Square in 1880.
Following WWII a number of Polish immigrants settled in the Earls Court area leading to Earls Court Road being dubbed ’The Danzig Corridor’. During the late 1960s a large transient population of Australia and New Zealand travellers began to use Earls Court as a UK hub and over time it gained the name ’Kangaroo Valley’. It was at the time one of the cheapest areas close to central London, and up until the 1990s remained a somewhat down-at-heel district compared to its more upmarket neighbours to the North and East.
Today, while there are still significant numbers of students or other people on temporary visas, many of the Australians and New Zealanders appear to have moved on to now-cheaper areas further North and West.
The change in the area’s population is largely owed to rocketing property prices during the first decade of the 2000s and the continued gentrification of the area. The scale of change is illustrated by the economic divide between the eastern and western areas of Earls Court.