Courtland Avenue, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.62668 -0.2541) 

Courtland Avenue, NW7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Mill Hill · NW7 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Courtland Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.




NEARBY STREETS
Austell Gardens, NW7 Austell Gardens is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Bedford Road, NW7 Bedford Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Brabourne Heights, NW7 Brabourne Heights is a street in Mill Hill.
Bramley Close, NW7 Bramley Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Croft Close, NW7 Croft Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Ellesmere Avenue, NW7 Ellesmere Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.
Fairway Court, NW7 Fairway Court is a street in Mill Hill.
Fernside Avenue, NW7 Fernside Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Glenwood Road, NW7 Glenwood Road is a street in Mill Hill.
Hankins Lane, NW7 Hankins Lane is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Laleham Avenue, NW7 Laleham Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.
Langley Crescent, HA8 Langley Crescent is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Laurel Gardens, NW7 Laurel Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
Marsh Lane, NW7 Marsh Lane is the easternmost section of a long lane of which other names are Deans Lane and Selvage Lane.
Middle Dene, NW7 Middle Dene is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Mount Grove, HA8 Mount Grove is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Mount View, NW7 Mount View is a street in Mill Hill.
Norbury Grove, NW7 Norbury Grove is a road in the NW7 postcode area
North Dene, NW7 North Dene is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Ramillies Road, NW7 Ramillies Road is a street in Mill Hill.
Robin Close, NW7 Robin Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Stockton Gardens, NW7 Stockton Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
The Fairway, NW7 The Fairway is a street in Mill Hill.
Westfield Road, NW7 Westfield Road is a street in Mill Hill.
Westmere Drive, NW7 Westmere Drive is a street in Mill Hill.
Worcester Crescent, NW7 Worcester Crescent is a street in Mill Hill.
Worcester Cresent, NW7 Worcester Cresent is a street in Mill Hill.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Home of Rest for Horses
TUM image id: 1045
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Hale Lane
TUM image id: 2371
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
Print-friendly version of this page