Coverdale Road, NW2

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.54628 -0.21261) 

Coverdale Road, NW2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Cricklewood · NW2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Coverdale Road is a street in Cricklewood.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Brondesbury House Brondesbury Manor House was on the southern side of Willesden Lane.
Mapesbury House Mapesbury House, on the northern side of Willesden Lane, was part of the 300-acre Brondesbury estate.

NEARBY STREETS
Bembridge Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brooklands Court, NW6 Brooklands Court is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Cavendish Place, NW2 Cavendish Place is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Cavendish Place, W1 Cavendish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Cavendish Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Chatsworth Road, NW2 Chatsworth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Chatsworth Road, NW6 Chatsworth Road is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Christchurch Avenue, NW2 Christchurch Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Christchurch Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Christchurch Court, NW6 Christchurch Court is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Chudleigh Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Coverdale Road, NW6 Coverdale Road is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Dartmouth Road, NW2 Dartmouth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Deerhurst Road, NW6 Deerhurst Road is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Exeter Road, NW2 Exeter Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Exeter Road, NW6 Exeter Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Forest Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Honeyman Close, NW2 Honeyman Close is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Honeyman Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingscroft Road, NW2 Kingscroft Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Landau House, NW2 Residential block
Lydford Road, NW2 Lydford Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Manor House Drive, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mapesbury Road, NW2 Mapesbury Road is named after Walter Map, prebendary from 1173–1192.
Mapesbury Road, NW6 Mapesbury Road is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Marlow Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Milverton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mowbray Road, NW2 Mowbray Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Mowbray Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Petrie Close, NW2 Petrie Close is a street in Cricklewood.
Plympton Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Shoot Up Hill, NW2 Shoot Up Hill is a street in Cricklewood.
Shoot-up Hill, NW2 Shoot-up Hill is a street in Cricklewood.
Teignmouth Road, NW2 Teignmouth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Willesden Lane, NW6 Willesden Lane is an original thoroughfare of the area.


Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Cedars
TUM image id: 1125
West End Park, 1870s
TUM image id: 1135
Earlsfields
TUM image id: 1145
Estate map of West Emd
TUM image id: 1147

TUM image id: 1151
Maygrove Peace Park
TUM image id: 1152
West End Green
TUM image id: 1167
Beethoven Street School
TUM image id: 1173
The Flora
TUM image id: 1200
Print-friendly version of this page