Cromwell Road, SW5
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Once known as Cromwell Lane, the road was named after one of Cromwell’s sons who lived here.
Cromwell Curve The Cromwell Curve was a short section of railway line between Gloucester Road and High Street Kensington stations. Earl’s Court Farm Earl’s Court Farm is pictured here as it was in 1867, before the opening of the underground station two years later. Nokes Estate Nokes Estate was an agricultural estate in the Earl’s Court area, formerly known as Wattsfield. St Mary Abbot’s St Mary Abbot’s Hospital operated from 1871 to 1992. From 1846 to 1869 the site housed the Kensington Parish Workhouse. The Bentley London The Bentley London is a luxury hotel located at 27-33 Harrington Gardens in South Kensington. Abingdon Road, W8 Abingdon Road stretches between Stratford Road and Kensington High Street. Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Childs Place, SW5 Childs Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Nevern Place, SW5 Nevern Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Nevern Road, SW5 Nevern Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. South Edwardes Square, W8 South Edwardes Square derives its name from William Edwardes, 2nd Lord Kensington - the square was built on part of his Holland House Estate.
Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area.
Earls Court is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Earls Court was once a rural area, covered with green fields and market gardens. For over 500 years the land, part of the ancient manor of Kensington, was under the lordship of the Vere family, the Earls of Oxford and descendants of Aubrey de Vere, who held the manor of Geoffrey de Montbray, bishop of Coutances, in Domesday Book in 1086. The earls held their manorial court where Old Manor Yard
is now, just by the London Underground station.
The construction of the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) station in 1865–69 was a catalyst for development. On 12 April 1869, the MDR (now the District Line) opened tracks through Earl’s Court as part of a south-westward extension from its station at Gloucester Road to West Brompton where the MDR opened an interchange with the West London Extension Joint Railway. In the quarter century afterwards, Earls Court was transformed into a densely populated suburb with 1200 houses and two churches. Eardley Crescent and Kempsford Gardens were built between 1867 and 1873, building began in Earls Court Square and Longridge Road
in 1873, in Nevern Place
in 1874, in Trebovir Road
and Philbeach Gardens
in 1876, and Nevern Square
Following WWII a number of Polish immigrants settled in the Earls Court area leading to Earls Court Road
being dubbed ’The Danzig Corridor’. During the late 1960s a large transient population of Australia and New Zealand travellers began to use Earls Court as a UK hub and over time it gained the name ’Kangaroo Valley’. It was at the time one of the cheapest areas close to central London, and up until the 1990s remained a somewhat down-at-heel district compared to its more upmarket neighbours to the North and East.
Today, while there are still significant numbers of students or other people on temporary visas, many of the Australians and New Zealanders appear to have moved on to now-cheaper areas further North and West.
The change in the area’s population is largely owed to rocketing property prices during the first decade of the 2000s and the continued gentrification of the area. The scale of change is illustrated by the economic divide between the eastern and western areas of Earls Court.