Crowndale Road, NW1

Road in/near Somers Town, existing between the 1790s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53498 -0.13649) 

Crowndale Road, NW1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Somers Town · NW1 ·
FEBRUARY
27
2019

Crowndale Road was at first called Fig Lane and then Gloucester Place.

To the south of Fig Lane lay the Duke of Bedford’s Fig’s Mead estate.

Along the north side of Crowndale Road, houses were built of ’great distinction’. Nos. 18 to 24 was known as Cantlowes House.

On the south side at numbers 31-53 consists of a grade II listed terrace erected in the 1840s on the Duke of Bedford’s land. Set back behind front gardens with railings, the houses are of three storeys raised on basements.

Opposite on the north side set back behind sizeable front gardens, are Nos. 48-72, one of the oldest surviving terraces in Camden Town. The terrace is likely to date from the late 18th century, and had the name Gloucester Place, later expanded to be the name of the whole road.


Main source: LocalLocalHistory: Camden Town
Further citations and sources




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Agar Town Agar Town was a short-lived area, built in the 1840s, of St Pancras.
London Greek Orthodox Cathedral - All Saints All Saints, Camden Town is a Greek Orthodox church known as the Greek Orthodox Church of All Saints.
Ossulston Estate The Ossulston Estate is a multi-storey council estate built by the London County Council in Somers Town between 1927 and 1931.
Somers Town Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross.

NEARBY STREETS
Albert Street, NW1 Albert Street runs north-south in Camden Town.
Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire.
Ampthill Square, NW1 Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.
Arlington Road, NW1 Arlington Road is misnamed from a noble derivation of Harlington, Middlesex.
Augustus House, NW1 Residential block
Barclay Street, NW1 Barclay Street led from Aldenham Street northwards to Medburn Street.
Barnby Street, NW1 Barnby Street is a street in Camden Town.
Bayham Place, NW1 Bayham Place is a short cobbled street.
Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham.
Beatty Street, NW1 Beatty Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Bridgeway Street, NW1 Bridgeway Street is a street in Camden Town.
Brill Place, NW1 Brill Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Camden High Street, NW1 Camden High Street is the local high street for Camden Town.
Camden Street, NW1 Camden Street is a street in Camden Town.
Camley Street, N1C Camley Street runs north from King’s Cross.
Camley Street, NW1 Camley Street is a street in Camden Town.
Charrington Street, NW1 Charrington Street runs south to north and is a continuation of Ossulston Street.
Chenies Place, NW1 Chenies Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Clarkson Row, NW1 Clarkson Row is a road in the NW1 postcode area
College Grove, NW1 College Grove is a road in the NW1 postcode area
College Place, NW1 College Place is a street in Camden Town.
Cooper’s Lane, NW1 Cooper’s Lane is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cranleigh Street, NW1 Cranleigh Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crofters Way, NW1 Crofters Way is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crowndale Court, NW1 Crowndale Court is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Curnock Street, NW1 George Curnock was the 19th century proprietor of two wharves on the Regent’s Canal.
Delancey Passage, NW1 Delancey Passage is a street in Camden Town.
Delancey Street, NW1 Delancey Street is a street in Camden Town.
Eversholt Street, NW1 Eversholt Street is a street in Camden Town.
Godwin Court, NW1 Godwin Court is a street in Camden Town.
Goldington Crescent, NW1 Goldington Crescent is a street in Camden Town.
Goldington Street, NW1 Goldington Street is a street in Camden Town.
Granary Street, NW1 Granary Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Granby Terrace, NW1 Granby Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Greenland Place, NW1 Greenland Place followed the line of Church Path.
Greenland Street, NW1 Greenland Street was originally York Street.
Hampden Close, NW1 Hampden Close is a street in Camden Town.
Harrington Square, NW1 Harrington Square is a street in Camden Town.
King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North.
Kings Terrace, NW1 Kings Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Lidlington Place, NW1 Lidlington Place is a street in Camden Town.
Mandela Street, NW1 Mandela Street was named after Nelson Mandela.
Mary Terrace, NW1 Mary Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Mayford, NW1 Mayford is a street in Camden Town.
Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire.
Miller Street, NW1 Miller Street is a street in Camden Town.
Mornington Cresent, NW1 Mornington Cresent was named after Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington.
Mornington Street, NW1 Mornington Street is a street in Camden Town.
Mornington Terrace, NW1 Mornington Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Oakley Square, NW1 Oakley Square is a street in Camden Town.
Oakshott Court, NW1 Oakshott Court is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Pancras Road, NW1 Pancras Road is a street in Camden Town.
Park Village East, NW1 Park Village East was part of a proposed canal-side village.
Penryn Street, NW1 Penryn Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927.
Polygon Road, NW1 Polygon Road is a street in Camden Town.
Pratt Mews, NW1 Pratt Mews dates from the 1790s.
Pratt Street, NW1 Pratt Street was named for Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden.
Purchese Street, NW1 Purchese Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Reapers Close, NW1 Reapers Close is a street in Camden Town.
Regents Park, NW1 Regents Park is a street in Camden Town.
Signmakers Yard, NW1 Signmakers Yard is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Somers Close, NW1 Somers Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area
St Martins Almshouses, NW1 St Martins Almshouses is a street in Camden Town.
St Martins Close, NW1 St Martins Close is a street in Camden Town.
The Marr, NW1 The Marr is a street in Camden Town.
The Polygon The Polygon was a housing estate, a Georgian building with 15 sides and three storeys that contained 32 houses.
Underhill Street, NW1 Underhill Street is a street in Camden Town.
Unity Mews, NW1 Unity Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Werrington Street, NW1 Werrington Street is a street in Camden Town.


Somers Town

Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross.

Historically, the name Somers Town was used for the larger triangular area between the Pancras, Hampstead, and Euston Roads, but it is now taken to mean the rough rectangle bounded by Pancras Road, Euston Road and Eversholt Street.

Somers Town was named after Charles Cocks, 1st Baron Somers (1725–1806). The area was originally granted by William III to John Somers (1651–1716), Lord Chancellor and Baron Somers of Evesham.

In the mid 1750s the New Road was established to bypass the congestion of London; Somers Town lay immediately north of this east-west toll road. In 1784, the first housing was built at the Polygon amid fields, brick works and market gardens on the northern fringes of London. The site of the Polygon is now occupied by a block of council flats called Oakshott Court.

The Polygon deteriorated socially as the surrounding land was subsequently sold off in smaller lots for cheaper housing, especially after the start of construction in the 1830s of the railway lines into Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross. In this period the area housed a large transient population of labourers and the population density of the area soared. By the late 19th century most of the houses were in multiple occupation, and overcrowding was severe with whole families sometimes living in one room, as confirmed by the social surveys of Charles Booth and Irene Barclay.

When St Luke’s Church, near King’s Cross, was demolished to make way for the construction of the Midland Railway St Pancras Station and its Midland Grand Hotel, the estimated twelve thousand inhabitants of Somers Town at that time were deprived of that place of worship, as the church building was re-erected in Kentish Town. In 1868 the lace merchant and philanthropist George Moore funded a new church, known as Christ Church, and an associated school in Chalton Street with an entrance in Ossulston Street. The school accommodated about six hundred children. Christ Church and the adjacent school were destroyed in a World War II bombing raid and no trace remains today, the site being occupied by a children’s play area and sports court.

Improvement of the slum housing conditions, amongst the worst in the capital, was first undertaken by St Pancras Council in 1906 at Goldington Buildings, at the junction of Pancras Road and Royal College Street, and continued on a larger scale by the St Pancras House Improvement Society (subsequently the St Pancras & Humanist Housing Association, the present owner of Goldington Buildings) which was established in 1924. Further social housing was built by the London County Council, which began construction of the Ossulston Estate in 1927. There remains a small number of older Grade 2 listed properties, mostly Georgian terraced houses.

During the early 1970s the neighbourhood comprising GLC-owned housing in Charrington, Penryn, Platt and Medburn Streets was a centre for the squatting movement.

In the 1980s, some council tenants took advantage of the ’right to buy’ scheme and bought their homes at a substantial discount. Later they moved away from the area. The consequence was an influx of young semi-professional people, resulting in a changing population.

Major construction work along the eastern side of Somers Town was completed in 2008, to allow for the Eurostar trains to arrive at the refurbished St Pancras Station. This involved the excavation of part of the St Pancras Old Churchyard, the human remains being re-interred at St Pancras and Islington Cemetery in East Finchley.

Land at Brill Place, previously earmarked for later phases of the British Library development, became available when the library expansion was cancelled and was used as site offices for the HS1 terminal development and partly to allow for excavation of a tunnel for the new Thameslink station. It was then acquired as the site for the Francis Crick Institute (formerly the UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation), a major medical research institute.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Mornington Road
TUM image id: 2353
Photo taken in 1920
TUM image id: 2369
All Saints, Camden Town, in 1828.
TUM image id: 1492970567
The Polygon, Somers Town in 1850.
TUM image id: 1499354315
Agar Town (1857)
Credit: Percy Lovell
TUM image id: 1499434317
Camden High Street
TUM image id: 1547918916
Camden Town 1920s.
TUM image id: 1557159163
Print-friendly version of this page