Crummock Gardens, NW9

Road in/near Colindale

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5839 -0.2528) 

Crummock Gardens, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Colindale · NW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Crummock Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.




NEARBY STREETS
Bowater Close, NW9 Bowater Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Buck Lane, NW9 Buck Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Burgess Avenue, NW9 Burgess Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Camarthen Green, NW9 Camarthen Green is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Coniston Gardens, NW9 Coniston Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Deerfield Close, NW9 Deerfield Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Derwent Avenue, NW9 Derwent Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Derwent Rise, NW9 Derwent Rise is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Ennerdale Drive, NW9 Ennerdale Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Forest Gate, NW9 Forest Gate is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fryent Crescent, NW9 Fryent Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fryent Fields, NW9 Fryent Fields is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fryent Grove, NW9 Fryent Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
Gadsbury Close, NW9 Gadsbury Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Goldsmith Avenue, NW9 Goldsmith Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Hayland Close, NW9 Hayland Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
High Meadow Crescent, NW9 High Meadow Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Highcroft, NW9 Highcroft is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hill View Gardens, NW9 Hill View Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hillfield Avenue, NW9 Hillfield Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hyde Crescent, NW9 Hyde Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Jubilee Close, NW9 Jubilee Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Kingsbury Trading Estate, NW9 Kingsbury Trading Estate is a street in Kingsbury.
Larkway Close, NW9 Larkway Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Lodore Gardens, NW9 Lodore Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Mardale Drive, NW9 Mardale Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Meadow Way, NW9 Meadow Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Northgate Drive, NW9 Northgate Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Pear Close, NW9 Pear Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Reets Farm Close, NW9 Reets Farm Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rookery Close, NW9 Rookery Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rookery Way, NW9 Rookery Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Rushgrove Avenue, NW9 Rushgrove Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Rushgrove Parade, NW9 Rushgrove Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Ruthin Close, NW9 Ruthin Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rydal Gardens, NW9 Rydal Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Silkfield Road, NW9 Silkfield Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Snowdon Drive, NW9 Snowdon Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Springfield Gardens, NW9 Springfield Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Springfield Mount, NW9 Springfield Mount is a street in Kingsbury.
St Matthias Close, NW9 St Matthias Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Stancroft, NW9 Stancroft is a street in Kingsbury.
Summit Avenue, NW9 Summit Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Summit Close, NW9 Summit Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Sunny View, NW9 Sunny View is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Talgarth Walk, NW9 Talgarth Walk is a road in the NW9 postcode area
The Hyde Industrial Estate, NW9 The Hyde Industrial Estate is a street in Kingsbury.
Varley Parade, NW9 Varley Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Wakemans Hill Avenue, NW9 Wakemans Hill Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Woodfield Avenue, NW9 Woodfield Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area


Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garstin’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page