is an ancient throughway.
At the time of the Enclosure Award of 1816, the area of a 16th century farm at Oxgate, another farm at the top of Dollis Hill, a mansion known as Neasden House and some 75 fields resulting from the enclosure. The region was typical open farming country and the only road across the area was Dollis Hill Lane
which traversed it from east to west. Dollis Hill House
was built in 1825 and the railway in 1868. By 1895 there was a golf-course to the south west.
Residential building really started in the south-east of Dollis Hill from 1907-08.
Of the major landmarks constructed in the first quarter of the century, the two most noteworthy are St. Andrew’s Hospital, built in 1913, and the Post Office Research Station which rose in 1923 on the site of the old Dollis Hill Farm
. In the mid-1920s Edgware Road was developed and there was some small-scale building in the middle of Dollis Hill.
So far a large part of the area still retained much of its rural character, but a great transformation took place between 1928 and 1930 when 29 new streets were laid out; this was also the period in which the North Circular Road
The John Kelly Schools went up in 1958 on open land north of the Research Station.