Print-friendly version of this page
Downshire Hill is a street in Hampstead.
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead. Abercorn Place, NW8 Abercorn Place is on the Harrow School Estate and is named after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, a governor of the school. Aberdare Gardens, NW6 This late Victorian street was probably named in compliment to Henry Bruce, Home Secretary 1868-1873, who was created 1st Baron Aberdare. Adamson Road, NW3 Adamson Road is named after either a contractor or architect to Eton College. Ainger Road, NW3 Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. Allcroft Road, NW5 Allcroft Road was built between 1862 and 1870 to links Queen’s Crescent with roads to the south.
Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Aylmer Parade, N2 Aylmer Parade is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Aylmer Road, N2 Aylmer Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park. Belsize Lane, NW3 Belsize Lane is a thoroughfare linking Rosslyn Hill with Swiss Cottage. Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history. Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858. Bridge Approach, NW1 Bridge Approach was once a busy thoroughfare connecting Regents Park Road with the world. Central Square, NW11 Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west. Chalton Drive, N2 Chalton Drive is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Chandos Way, NW11 Chandos Way runs off of Wellgarth Road and Britten Close, in turn, runs off Chandos Way. Church Mount, N2 Church Mount is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Church Road, N6 Church Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East. Constantine Road, NW3 Constantine Road was planned as a direct route from Gospel Oak and Kentish Town to South End Green and the heath. Cressy Road, NW3 Cressy Road was named for a famous English victory by its builder Thomas Gibb. Denewood Road, N6 Denewood Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Fairfax Place, NW6 Fairfax Place has undergone name changes - at first Victoria Mews and then Fairfax Mews. Fitzroy Close, N6 Fitzroy Close is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Fitzroy Park, N6 Fitzroy Park is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Frognal Parade, NW3 Frognal Parade is a parade of shops lying beyond Finchley Road and Frognal station. Frognal, NW3 A road called Frognal runs from Church Row in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne. High Sheldon, N6 High Sheldon is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Hilgrove Road, NW6 Hilgrove Road was previously the western section of Adelaide Road, called Adelaide Road North. Hillfield Court Hillfield Court is a prominent art deco residential mansion block in Belsize Park, in the London Borough of Camden, built in 1934. Hillfield Court, NW3 Hillfield Court serves a prominent art deco residential mansion block of the same name in Belsize Park. Holne Chase, N2 Holne Chase is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development. Kingsley Way, N2 Kingsley Way is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Lismore Circus, NW5 Lismore Circus was a former Victorian circus with six streets radiating from it. Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road. Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road. Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London. McCrone Mews, NW3 McCrone Mews is a mews - formerly the location of a depot of the London Parcel Delivery Company. Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71. Norrice Lea, N2 Norrice Lea is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. North End Way, NW3 North End Way is the name for the southernmost section of North End Road - running from Hampstead to Golders Green. North Grove, N6 North Grove is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. North Hill, N6 North Hill is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Prince Arthur Road, NW3 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and son of Queen Victoria opened a home for sailor’s daughters in the area in 1869. Rosslyn Hill, NW3 Rosslyn Hill is a road connecting the south end of Hampstead High Street to the north end of Haverstock Hill. Rowan Walk, N2 Rowan Walk is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Rowley Way, NW8 Rowley Way was named after Llewellyn Rowley, Camden’s Director of Housing. South Square, NW11 South Square is the name of the southern part of Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb. Storey Road, N6 Storey Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Stormont Road, N6 Stormont Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Talbot Road, N6 Talbot Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. The Grove, N6 The Grove is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. The Limes, NW3 The Limes replaced the Hare and Hounds pub which previously stood here. Turners Wood, NW11 Turner’s Wood, built in 1916, was the final road of the original Hampstead Garden Suburb before the First World War brought work to an end. View Road, N6 View Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Vivian Way, N2 Vivian Way is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.