Duke Of York Street, SW1Y

Road in/near St James’s, existing between 1686 and now.

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  ·  BLOG  ·  CONTACT US 
(51.50795 -0.13595, 51.507 -0.135) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502024Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map
Road · * · SW1Y ·
July
8
2022
Duke Of York Street runs between Jermyn Street and St James’s Square.

Both sides of York Street (now Duke of York Street) formed part of land granted freehold to the Earl of Saint Albans’s trustees in 1665.

South of the line of Apple Tree Yard (formerly Angier Street) and Ormond Yard (Angier Street/Blackamoor Street/Blackmoor Head Yard) the Duke of York Street was flanked by the frontages of the corner sites in St James’s Square.

York Street was probably named in honour of James, Duke of York, who succeeded to the throne as James II in 1685, first mentioned by name in the ratebooks in 1686.


Main source: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vols29-30
Further citations and sources


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

Comment
Simon   
Added: 15 Jan 2024 15:44 GMT   

Simon De Charmes, clockmaker
De Charmes (or Des Charmes), Simon, of French Huguenot extraction. Recorded 1688 and Free of the Clockmakers’ Company 1691-1730. In London until 1704 at least at ’his House, the Sign of the Clock, the Corner of Warwick St, Charing Cross’. See Brian Loomes The Early Clockmakers of Great Britain, NAG Press, 1981, p.188

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply
Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Diana   
Added: 28 Feb 2024 13:52 GMT   

New Inn Yard, E1
My great grandparents x 6 lived in New Inn Yard. On this date, their son was baptised in nearby St Leonard’s Church, Shoreditch

Source: BDM London, Cripplegate and Shoreditch registers written by church clerk.

Reply
Comment
Vic Stanley   
Added: 24 Feb 2024 17:38 GMT   

Postcose
The postcode is SE15, NOT SE1

Reply
Comment
Gillian   
Added: 17 Feb 2024 00:08 GMT   

No 36 Upper East Smithfield
My great great grandfather was born at No 36 Upper East Smithfield and spent his early years staring out at a "dead wall" of St Katharine’s Docks. His father was an outfitter and sold clothing for sailors. He describes the place as being backed by tenements in terrible condition and most of the people living there were Irish.

Reply

Kevin Pont   
Added: 16 Feb 2024 20:32 GMT   

Name origin
Interestingly South Lambeth derives its name from the same source as Lambeth itself - a landing place for lambs.

But South Lambeth has no landing place - it is not on the River Thames

Reply

C Hobbs   
Added: 31 Jan 2024 23:53 GMT   

George Gut (1853 - 1861)
George Gut, Master Baker lived with his family in Long Lane.
George was born in Bernbach, Hesse, Germany and came to the UK sometime in the 1840s. In 1849, George married an Englishwoman called Matilda Baker and became a nauralized Englishman. He was given the Freedom of the City of London (by Redemption in the Company of Bakers), in 1853 and was at that time, recorded as living at 3 Long Lane. In the 1861 census, George Gut was living at 11 Long Lane.

Reply
Comment
Emma Beach   
Added: 18 Jan 2024 04:33 GMT   

William Sutton Thwaites
William Sutton Thwaites was the father of Frances Lydia Alice Knorr nee Thwaites�’�’she was executed in 1894 in Melbourne, Victoria Australia for infanticide. In the year prior to his marriage, to her mother Frances Jeanette Thwaites nee Robin, William Sutton was working as a tailor for Mr Orchard who employed four tailors in the hamlet of Mile End Old Town on at Crombies Row, Commercial Road East.

Source: 1861 England Census Class: Rg 9; Piece: 293; Folio: 20; Page: 2; GSU roll: 542608

Reply
Comment
Simon   
Added: 15 Jan 2024 15:44 GMT   

Simon De Charmes, clockmaker
De Charmes (or Des Charmes), Simon, of French Huguenot extraction. Recorded 1688 and Free of the Clockmakers’ Company 1691-1730. In London until 1704 at least at ’his House, the Sign of the Clock, the Corner of Warwick St, Charing Cross’. See Brian Loomes The Early Clockmakers of Great Britain, NAG Press, 1981, p.188

Reply
Born here
Jacqueline Mico   
Added: 14 Jan 2024 07:29 GMT   

Robert Bolam
This is where my grandad was born, he went on to be a beautiful man, he became a shop owner, a father, and grandfather, he lost a leg when he was a milkman and the horse kicked him, then opened a shop in New Cross and then moved to Lewisham where he had a Newsagents and tobacconists.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Nelson’s Column Nelson’s Column is a monument in Trafalgar Square built to commemorate Horatio Nelson’s decisive victory at the Battle of Trafalgar during which he lost his life.
Nelson’s Column
Royal Institution The Royal Institution of Great Britain (Royal Institution) is an organisation for scientific education and research, based in the City of Westminster.
Royal Institution
Royal Society The Royal Society is a self-governing Fellowship of many of the world’s most distinguished scientists drawn from all areas of science, engineering and medicine.
Royal Society
St James’s St James’s is an exclusive area in the West End of London.
St James’s

NEARBY STREETS
Admiralty House, SW1A Admiralty House is a block on Whitehall (Westminster)
Admiralty House, SW1A
Air Street, SW1Y Air Street was the most westerly street in London when newly built in 1658 (Piccadilly Circus)
Air Street, SW1Y
Albany Courtyard, SW1Y The courtyard is named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, who in 1791 purchased Melbourne House which stood on this site (St James’s)
Albany Courtyard, SW1Y
Albany, W1B The Albany is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, established in 1802
Albany, W1B
Albemarle Street, W1S Albemarle Street takes its name from the second Duke of Albermarle, son of General Monk
Albemarle Street, W1S
Ambassador’s Court, SW1A Ambassador’s Court is a block on Ambassador’s Court (St James’s)
Ambassador’s Court, SW1A
Ambassador’s Court, SW1A Ambassador’s Court is part of the St James’s Palace complex (St James’s)
Ambassador’s Court, SW1A
Angel Court, SW1Y Angel Court is named after a long demolished inn of this name (St James’s)
Angel Court, SW1Y
Apple Tree Yard, SW1Y Apple Tree Yard is thought named after the apple trees formerly to be found here (St James’s)
Apple Tree Yard, SW1Y
Arlington House, SW1A Arlington House is now part of an exclusive residential development (St James’s)
Arlington House, SW1A
Arlington Street, SW1A Arlington Street is named after Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, 17th century statesman and local landowner (St James’s)
Arlington Street, SW1A
Babmaes Street, SW1Y Babmaes Street was originally called Wells Street (St James’s)
Babmaes Street, SW1Y
Bennet Street, SW1A Bennet Street lies off St James’s Street (St James’s)
Bennet Street, SW1A
Bennett House, SW1A Bennett House is located on Bennet Street (St James’s)
Bennett House, SW1A
Birkett House, W1S Birkett House is a block on Albemarle Street
Birkett House, W1S
Blue Ball Yard, SW1A Blue Ball Yard is first mentioned in 1672 when its site was sold by King Charles II (St James’s)
Blue Ball Yard, SW1A
Blue Bridge, SW1A Blue Bridge crosses St James’s Park lake (St James’s Park)
Blue Bridge, SW1A
Bridgewater House, SW1A Bridgewater House is a block on Cleveland Row (St James’s)
Bridgewater House, SW1A
Broughton House, W1S Broughton House is located on Sackville Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Broughton House, W1S
Burlington Arcade, SW1Y Burlington Arcade is a covered shopping arcade, 179 metres in length, that runs from Piccadilly to Burlington Gardens. (St James’s)
Burlington Arcade, SW1Y
Burlington Gardens, W1J Burlington Gardens, with houses dating from 1725, was laid out on land that was once part of the Burlington Estate
Burlington Gardens, W1J
Bury Street, SW1A Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street (St James’s)
Bury Street, SW1A
Canada House, SW1Y Canada House is located on Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross)
Canada House, SW1Y
Carlton Gardens, SW1Y Carlton Gardens was developed before 1832 (St James’s)
Carlton Gardens, SW1Y
Carlton House Terrace, SW1Y Carlton House Terrace consists of a pair of terraces - white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St James’s Park (St James’s)
Carlton House Terrace, SW1Y
Catherine Wheel Yard, SW1A Catherine Wheel Yard is named after an inn that stood on this site until it burnt down in 1895 (St James’s)
Catherine Wheel Yard, SW1A
Charing Cross, SW1A Charing Cross, long regarded as London’s central point, as an address is an enigma (Charing Cross)
Charing Cross, SW1A
Charles II Street, SW1Y Charles II Street is named for the ’Merry Monarch’ (St James’s)
Charles II Street, SW1Y
Chatham House, SW1Y Chatham House is a building on St James’s Square (St James’s)
Chatham House, SW1Y
Church Place, SW1Y Church Place was named after the adjacent St James’s Church, Piccadilly (St James’s)
Church Place, SW1Y
Cleveland Row, SW1A Cleveland Row – after Cleveland House (now Bridgwater House), named for Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland who lived there in the late 17th century (St James’s)
Cleveland Row, SW1A
Cleveland Yard, SW1Y Cleveland Yard is now the site of Cleveland Place (St James’s)
Cleveland Yard, SW1Y
Clydesdale Bank House, W1J Clydesdale Bank House is a block on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Clydesdale Bank House, W1J
Cockspur Court, SW1A Cockspur Court is a building on Cockspur Court (Charing Cross)
Cockspur Court, SW1A
Cockspur Street, SW1A Cockspur Street is possibly after the cock fighting that formerly occurred here, cocks often having spurs attached to their feet during fights (Charing Cross)
Cockspur Street, SW1A
Colette House, W1J Colette House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Colette House, W1J
Crown Passage, SW1A Crown Passage is thought to be after a former tavern of the name (St James’s)
Crown Passage, SW1A
Dalmeny Court, SW1Y Dalmeny Court is a block on Duke Street (St James’s)
Dalmeny Court, SW1Y
Denman House, W1J Denman House is a block on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Denman House, W1J
Devonshire House, W1J Devonshire House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Devonshire House, W1J
Dover Street, W1J Dover Street is notable for its Georgian architecture as well as the location of historic London clubs and hotels (Green Park)
Dover Street, W1J
Downing Street, SW1A Downing Street has been the home of British Prime Minsters since the eighteenth century (Westminster)
Downing Street, SW1A
Dudley House, SW1A Dudley House is situated at 169 Piccadilly (St James’s)
Dudley House, SW1A
Duke Of York Street, SW1Y Duke Of York Street runs between Jermyn Street and St James’s Square (St James’s)
Duke Of York Street, SW1Y
Duke Street St James’s, SW1Y Duke Street St James’s is named after James II, Duke of York when the street was built and brother to Charles II, king at the time (St James’s)
Duke Street St James’s, SW1Y
Eagle Place, SW1Y Eagle Place lies off Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Eagle Place, SW1Y
Egyptian House, W1J Egyptian House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Egyptian House, W1J
Empire House, W1J Empire House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Empire House, W1J
Fludyer Street, SW1A Fludyer Street used to be a street which lay parallel to, and south of, Downing Street (Westminster)
Fludyer Street, SW1A
French Railway House, SW1Y French Railway House occupies 178-180 Piccadilly (St James’s)
French Railway House, SW1Y
Haymarket House, W1D Haymarket House is a block on Shaver’s Place
Haymarket House, W1D
Haymarket, SW1Y Haymarket – site of a former market selling hay until the 1830s (St James’s)
Haymarket, SW1Y
Hobhouse Court, WC2H Hobhouse Court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Victorian MP and arts patron (Westminster)
Hobhouse Court, WC2H
Horse Guards Parade, SW1A Horse Guards Parade dates to the time of Henry VIII (Westminster)
Horse Guards Parade, SW1A
Horse Guards Road, SW1A Horse Guards Road runs along the eastern edge of St James’s Park (Westminster)
Horse Guards Road, SW1A
Huguenot House, WC2H Huguenot House is a block on Panton Street (Westminster)
Huguenot House, WC2H
Irving Street, WC2H Irving Street is named after Henry Irving, the popular Victorian actor (Westminster)
Irving Street, WC2H
Jermyn Street, SW1Y Jermyn Street is the main east-west road of St James’s (St James’s)
Jermyn Street, SW1Y
King Charles Street, SW1A King Charles Street is a street of government buildings, one block south of Downing Street (Westminster)
King Charles Street, SW1A
King Street, SW1Y King Street leads from St James’s Street to St James’s Square (St James’s)
King Street, SW1Y
Kinnaird House, SW1Y Kinnaird House is a block on Pall Mall (Westminster)
Kinnaird House, SW1Y
Kirkland House, SW1A Kirkland House is a block on Whitehall (Westminster)
Kirkland House, SW1A
Little St James’s Street, SW1A Little St James’s Street is a turning off of St James’s Street proper (St James’s)
Little St James’s Street, SW1A
Lower Regent Street, SW1Y Lower Regent Street is the name for the part of Regent Street which lies south of Piccadilly Circus (St James’s)
Lower Regent Street, SW1Y
Malta House, W1J Malta House is a building on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Malta House, W1J
Marlborough Road, SW1Y Marlborough Road was named after the adjacent Marlborough House, built for Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough in 1711 (St James’s)
Marlborough Road, SW1Y
Masons Yard, SW1Y Mason’s Yard was named for the local 18th century victualler Henry Mason (St James’s)
Masons Yard, SW1Y
New Street, SW1A New Street was made part of Spring Gardens in 1881 (Westminster)
New Street, SW1A
New Zealand House, SW1Y New Zealand House is a block on Haymarket (St James’s)
New Zealand House, SW1Y
Norris Street, SW1Y Norris Street – after Godfrye Norris, local leaseholder in the 17th century
Norris Street, SW1Y
Nuffield House, W1J Nuffield House is located on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Nuffield House, W1J
Oceanic House, SW1Y Oceanic House is a block on Pall Mall East (Charing Cross)
Oceanic House, SW1Y
Old Admiralty Building, SW1A Old Admiralty Building is a block on Spring Gardens (Westminster)
Old Admiralty Building, SW1A
Old Bond Street, W1J Old Bond Street was named for Sir Thomas Bond, a property developer from Peckham who laid out a number of streets in this part of the West End (Westminster)
Old Bond Street, W1J
Old Burlington Street, W1J Old Burlington Street connects Burlington Gardens and Clifford Street
Old Burlington Street, W1J
Orange Street, WC2H Orange Street gets its name from William III, Prince of Orange - the reigning king when the street was built. (Westminster)
Orange Street, WC2H
Ormond Yard, SW1Y Ormond Yard was named after James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, who owned a house next to this yard in the 17th century (St James’s)
Ormond Yard, SW1Y
OverSeas House, SW1A OverSeas House is a block on Park Place (St James’s)
OverSeas House, SW1A
Oxendon Street, W1D Oxendon Street, after Sir Henry Oxendon, husband of Mary Baker, daughter of Robert Baker who built the former Piccadilly House nearby (Westminster)
Oxendon Street, W1D
Pall Mall East, SW1A Pall Mall East is an eastern extension of Pall Mall towards Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross)
Pall Mall East, SW1A
Pall Mall, SW1Y Pall Mall was laid out as grounds for playing pall mall in the 17th century (St James’s)
Pall Mall, SW1Y
Panton Street, SW1Y Panton Street was named after Colonel Thomas Panton, local property dealer of the 17th century (Westminster)
Panton Street, SW1Y
Park Place, SW1A Park Place is named after nearby Green Park (St James’s)
Park Place, SW1A
Piccadilly Arcade, SW1Y Piccadilly Arcade runs between Piccadilly and Jermyn Street (St James’s)
Piccadilly Arcade, SW1Y
Piccadilly Place, SW1Y Piccadilly Place is an alleyway leading to Vine Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Piccadilly Place, SW1Y
Piccadilly, SW1Y Piccadilly is one of the main London streets (St James’s)
Piccadilly, SW1Y
Pickering Place, SW1A Thought to be the smallest public open space in London, Pickering Place is perhaps most famous for being the location of the last public duel in England (St James’s)
Pickering Place, SW1A
Pickering Place, SW1Y Pickering Place is London’s smallest square (St James’s)
Pickering Place, SW1Y
Princes Arcade, SW1Y Princes Arcade, built 1929–33, was named after the former Prince’s Hotel, which stood here (St James’s)
Princes Arcade, SW1Y
Rex House, SW1Y Rex House is a building on Regent Street (St James’s)
Rex House, SW1Y
Rose and Crown Yard, SW1Y Rose and Crown Yard was probably named after a former inn of this name (St James’s)
Rose and Crown Yard, SW1Y
Royal Arcade, W1S Royal Arcade is an alleyway of exclusive shops
Royal Arcade, W1S
Royal Opera Arcade, SW1Y Royal Opera Arcade was originally part of an opera house theatre, built by John Nash (St James’s)
Royal Opera Arcade, SW1Y
Royalty House, W1S Royalty House is a block on Sackville Street
Royalty House, W1S
Russell Court, SW1A Russell Court is named after the Russell family, who lived here in the 1600s (St James’s)
Russell Court, SW1A
Ryder Street, SW1A Ryder Street was named after Richard Rider, Master Carpenter to Charles II (St James’s)
Ryder Street, SW1A
Ryger House, SW1A Ryger House is located on Arlington Street (St James’s)
Ryger House, SW1A
Sabadell House, SW1Y Sabadell House is a block on Pall Mall (St James’s)
Sabadell House, SW1Y
Sackville Street, W1B Sackville Street runs north from Piccadilly
Sackville Street, W1B
Samuel House, SW1Y Samuel House is located on St Alban’s Street (St James’s)
Samuel House, SW1Y
Scandia House, W1S Scandia House is a building on Albemarle Street (Westminster)
Scandia House, W1S
Spencer House, SW1A Spencer House is a block on St James’s Place (St James’s)
Spencer House, SW1A
Spring Gardens, WC2N Spring Gardens derives its name from the Spring Garden, formed in the 16th century (Charing Cross)
Spring Gardens, WC2N
St Alban’s House, SW1 St Alban’s House is a block on Haymarket
St Alban’s House, SW1
St Alban’s House, SW1Y St Alban’s House can be found on Haymarket (St James’s)
St Alban’s House, SW1Y
St Albans Street, SW1Y St Albans Street was named after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner
St Albans Street, SW1Y
St James’s Market, SW1Y St James’s Market was part of the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee (Piccadilly Circus)
St James’s Market, SW1Y
St James’s Chambers, SW1Y St James’s Chambers is a block located at 9 Ryder Street (St James’s)
St James’s Chambers, SW1Y
St James’s Place, SW1A St James’s Place runs west from St James’s Street (St James’s)
St James’s Place, SW1A
St James’s Square, SW1Y St James’s Square is the only square in the district of St James’s (St James’s)
St James’s Square, SW1Y
St James’s Street, SW1A St James’s Street is a main road of the West End running from Pall Mall to Piccadilly (St James’s)
St James’s Street, SW1A
St Martins Place, WC2N St Martin’s Place is a short stretch connecting Trafalgar Square to the bottom of Charing Cross Road
St Martins Place, WC2N
St Martins Street, WC2H St Martins Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Westminster)
St Martins Street, WC2H
Stable Yard Road, SW1A Stable Yard Road leads from The Mall to Clarence House (St James’s)
Stable Yard Road, SW1A
Stafford House, W1S Stafford House is sited on Stafford Street
Stafford House, W1S
Stafford Street, W1S Stafford Street is named after Margaret Stafford, partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stafford Street, W1S
Standbrook House, W1S Standbrook House is a block on Old Bond Street (Westminster)
Standbrook House, W1S
Suffolk Place, SW1Y The Earl of Suffolk (Thomas Howard) was the reason for the naming of Suffolk Place (Westminster)
Suffolk Place, SW1Y
Suffolk Street, SW1Y Suffolk Street was named after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site (Westminster)
Suffolk Street, SW1Y
Swallow Street, SW1Y Swallow Street honours Thomas Swallow, lessee in 1540 of the pastures on which the road was built (Piccadilly Circus)
Swallow Street, SW1Y
Swan House, W1S Swan House can be found on Old Bond Street
Swan House, W1S
The Bank Building, SW1A The Bank Building is located on St James’s Street (St James’s)
The Bank Building, SW1A
The Economist Building, SW1A The Economist Building can be found on St James’s Street (St James’s)
The Economist Building, SW1A
The Mall, SW1Y The Mall is the processional route between Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace (St James’s)
The Mall, SW1Y
The Ritz Arcade, SW1A The Ritz Arcade lies outside The Ritz Hotel (St James’s)
The Ritz Arcade, SW1A
Trafalgar Square, WC2N Trafalgar Square commemorates Horatio Nelson’s 1805 victory at the Battle of Trafalgar (Charing Cross)
Trafalgar Square, WC2N
Victory House, W1B Victory House is a block on Regent Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Victory House, W1B
Vine Street, SW1Y Vine Street is a short dead-end street running east from Swallow Street and is parallel to Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Vine Street, SW1Y
Warwick House Street, SW1A Warwick House Street formerly approached Warwick House, built in the 17th century for Sir Philip Warwick (Charing Cross)
Warwick House Street, SW1A
Waterloo Place, SW1Y Waterloo Place, an extension of Regent Street, is awash with statues and monuments that honour heroes of the British Empire (St James’s)
Waterloo Place, SW1Y
Whitcomb Street, WC2H Whitcomb Street - named after William Whitcomb, 17th century brewer and property developer (Westminster)
Whitcomb Street, WC2H

NEARBY PUBS
The Clarence The Clarence is located diagonally opposite the Ritz.
The Clarence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 663 completed street histories and 46837 partial histories


Click here to see photos of the area


  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy