The construction of the railways and the opening of stations was the catalyst to the development of the open fields of Battersea and Clapham Junction
, which were progressively transformed into new housing estates. The strips and furlongs of Battersea’s fields often represented the boundaries of the new residential estates. The population increased during this period from 6000 to 168 000. The Falcon Brook, an open river running along the line of St John’s Road was culverted at this time.
The early housing was mainly for low-income families associated with the local workforce. During the latter quarter of the nineteenth century, though, this changed to more speculative housing. The developer Alfred Heaver made an enormous impact on the Battersea townscape with the construction of some 4,419 houses in the area between 1878 and 1898.
was a private carriagedrive serving a few Georgian country houses set among lawns, cedar trees and flower gardens. On the death of the most famous resident of Lavender Sweep
, Tom Taylor, the area was redeveloped in 1881-83.
The new roads were Eccles Road, Parma Cres
cent, Limburg Road
, Hafer Road
and Hauberk Road (since destroyed by bombing) and Lavender Sweep
itself. The curved layout of the original Sweep dictated the form of the development. Nearby another ancient lane, Lavender Walk
, survives. At the same date Alfred Heaver developed Beauchamp Road
, Ilminster Gardens
, and parts of St John’s Road, in his distinctive style. Finally, Barnard Road
was laid out as late as 1904, after the death of Noel Whiting of Lavender Lodge.