Elsworthy Road, NW3

Road in/near Swiss Cottage

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.54049 -0.16674) 

Elsworthy Road, NW3

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Swiss Cottage · NW3 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Elsworthy Road is a street in Hampstead.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Central School of Speech and Drama The Royal Central School of Speech & Drama was founded in 1906 to offer a new form of training in speech and drama for young actors and other students.
Winchester Hotel Winchester Hotel was situated at 21a Winchester Road, NW3

NEARBY STREETS
Adelaide Road, NW3 Adelaide Road was begun in 1837 as William IV’s reign drew to a close.
Avenue Close, NW8 Avenue Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Avenue Road, NW3 Avenue Road dates from 1829.
Avenue Road, NW8 Avenue Road was an important road on the Eyre estate.
Boydell Court, NW8 Boydell Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Briary Close, NW3 Briary Close is a street in Hampstead.
Brocas Close, NW3 Brocas Close is a street in Hampstead.
Broxwood Way, NW8 Broxwood Way is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Central Avenue, SW10 Central Avenue is a road in the SW10 postcode area
Conybeare, NW3 Conybeare is a street in Hampstead.
Elliott Square, NW3 Elliott Square is a street in Hampstead.
Elsworthy Road, NW8 Elsworthy Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Elsworthy Terrace, NW3 Elsworthy Terrace is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Fellows Road, NW3 Fellows Road is a street in Hampstead.
Harley Road, NW3 Harley Road is a street in Hampstead.
Hawtrey Road, NW3 Hawtrey Road is a street in Hampstead.
Hillview, NW3 Hillview is a street in Hampstead.
Hornby Close, NW3 Hornby Close is a street in Hampstead.
Huson Close, NW3 Huson Close is a street in Hampstead.
King Henry’s Road, NW3 King Henry’s Road is a road in the NW3 postcode area
King Henry’s Road, NW3 King Henry’s Road is a street in Hampstead.
Lower Merton Rise, NW3 Lower Merton Rise is a street in Hampstead.
Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71.
Middle Field, NW8 Middle Field is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Norfolk Road, NW8 Norfolk Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area.
Oppidans Road, NW3 Oppidans Road was built by George Pownall in 1868.
Ormonde Terrace, NW8 Ormonde Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Primrose Hill Road, NW3 Primrose Hill Road is a street in Hampstead.
Queen’s Grove, NW8 Queen’s Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queensmead, NW8 Queensmead is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Quickswood, NW3 Quickswood is a street in Hampstead.
Radlett Place, NW8 Radlett Place was formerly called Regent Villa Mews.
Regency Parade, NW3 Regency Parade is a street in Hampstead.
Rossetti Mews, NW8 Rossetti Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Rudgwick Terrace, NW8 Rudgwick Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St John’s Wood Park, NW8 St John’s Wood Park is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St Stephen’s Close, NW8 St Stephen’s Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Tobin Close, NW3 Tobin Close is a street in Hampstead.
Wadham Gardens, NW3 Wadham Gardens is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester.
Woronzow Road, NW8 Woronzow Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Regent's Park
TUM image id: 1120
Chalk Farm in 1730
TUM image id: 1257
Fitzjohn's Avenue sign
TUM image id: 1273
Shepherd’s Well in 1820
TUM image id: 2961
Print-friendly version of this page