Farm Close, Borehamwood, Herts.

Road in/near Borehamwood, existing between 1982 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.6687 -0.2951) 

Farm Close, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Borehamwood · WD6 ·
JANUARY
31
2017

Farm Close is situated on the Organ Hall Estate of Borehamwood.




NEARBY STREETS
Bairstow Close, WD6 Bairstow Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Beechfield Close, WD6 Beechfield Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Boyce Close, WD6 Boyce Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cromwell Road, WD6 Cromwell Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Darrington Road, WD6 Darrington Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Farrant Way, WD6 Farrant Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Felton Close, WD6 Felton Close, Borehamwood.
Gibbons Close, WD6 Gibbons Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Haggerston Road, WD6 Haggerston Road is in the WD6 postcode area.
Lombardy Way, WD6 Lombardy Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Micklefield Way, WD6 Micklefield Way is a road in Borehamwood.
Organ Hall Road, WD6 Organ Hall Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Organ Lane, E4 Organ Lane is a road in the E4 postcode area
Purcell Close, WD6 Purcell Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Rossington Avenue, WD6 Rossington Avenue, built in the 1950s, is situated in the north part of Borehamwood.
Saxon Court, WD6 Saxon Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Stainer Road, WD6 Stainer Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Stanley Gardens, WD6 Stanley Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Stevenage Crescent, WD6 Stevenage Crescent is a street in Borehamwood
Tallis Way, WD6 Tallis Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Tomkins Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Tudor Court, WD6 Tudor Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Tuxford Close Tuxford Close is a cul-de-sac in Borehamwood.
Wetherby Road, WD6 Wetherby Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.
Print-friendly version of this page