Print-friendly version of this page
Finchley Road was one of the major improvement roads of the 1820s.
Finchley Road was one of the first new trunk roads of the nineteenth century, intended to improve access to London by avoiding the hill at Hampstead.Licence:
The road was established by an Act of Parliament in 1826 and was under the control of the Marylebone and Finchley turnpike trust. It had tollgates at Childs Hill and Golders Green, and was fully opened to traffic in 1830.
Later it came under the control of the commissioners for the metropolitan turnpike roads.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Golders Green crossroads Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s. Golders Green, looking south (1905) This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. Heruka Buddhist Centre Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre (KMC) is the main New Kadampa Tradition Buddhist Centre for north & central London. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb. Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.