Print-friendly version of this page Frognal
Lane is a street in Hampstead.
6 Ellerdale Road 6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876. Cedars A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878. Cock and Hoop The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723. Flitcroft Estate Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century. Hackney College The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary. Hampstead Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm. Hampstead tunnel Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860. Hillfield By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records. Lauriston Lodge Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead. New West End New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road. Piecemeal building The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field. Poplar House Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter. Potter's Iron Foundry In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry. Ripley House Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge. Source of the Kilbourne The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead, St John, Hampstead St John-at-Hampstead is a Church of England parish church dedicated to St John the Evangelist. St Mary’s Church St Mary’s Chapel, now known as St Mary’s Church, is a Grade II* listed Roman Catholic church. The Black Lion The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house. Thorplands Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane. Two streams meet Somewhere beneath the basement of 16 Frognal, NW3 two tributaries of the River Westbourne meet. University College School University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London. West End Hall West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead). Woodbine Cottage Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate. Frognal Parade, NW3 Frognal Parade is a parade of shops lying beyond Finchley Road and Frognal station. Heath Drive, NW3 Heath Drive, one of the roads connecting Hampstead with the Finchley Road was originally West Hampstead Avenue. Inglewood Road, NW6 Inglewood Road, NW6 was one of the last roads to be built in West End, West Hampstead. Welbeck Mansions, NW6 Welbeck Mansions, flats notable for their ironwork balconies, were built north of Inglewood Road in 1897.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.