Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon.
In 1751 there were two inns at Golders Green
: the Hoop (whose name was preserved in Hoop Lane
) and the White Swan. In 1754, it was reported that there were about 16 houses with small gardens at Golders Green
Half a century later, Golders Green
contained ’many ornamental villas and cottages, surrounded with plantations’.
By 1828 detached houses had spread on both sides of the road as far as Brent Bridge. The green of Golders Green
- a manorial waste both sides of Golders Green
Road finally disappeared in 1874.
The villas in their wooded grounds - Alba Lodge, Golders Lodge
, Gloucester Lodge, the Oaks, Grove House and Woodstock House
- gave Golders Green
its special character. They disappeared rapidly with the growth of suburban housing after the extension of the Underground.